Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Bluegill & Redear bite?

Hello Castle. I am looking forward to next year and the next few after that, which should see a resurgence in fishing success at Lake Perris once the lake is refilled. Your description matches what I have observed and heard to this point. I think with the warm weather and the float tube, Jeff should have a better chance of success though, and I know that he knows what he is doing. I have only fished Perris 3 times this year, myself, and only caught the one bass. I think I lost another bass on my first trip of the year too, in the marina. I bought a Poppy Pass a few months ago too. It hasn't done me much good yet. LOL But perhaps it will in the near future. I have been fishing some other spots and basically catching fish everywhere else I have tried, including some very good size ones -- just not Lake Perris. Oh well.....

I ended up going out with a friend that keeps a boat at the Lake Perris Marina. Fishing was not great, but we did find a spot were the BGs were grouped up just as we were getting ready to leave. It always amazes me just how strong the larger Bluegill are. A one pound Bluegill will feel like a 3 or 4 pound bass, especially when using light rods and 2 lb test. We saw several boats in various places on the lake but never saw anyone catching any fish. Just us. I caught a few with one that was a stout beautiful fish with orange fins (see photo), and my buddy got a few with one awesome 11 inch coppernose as his best.

SirBluegill… I sent you a PM-

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I ended up going out with a friend that keeps a boat at the Lake Perris Marina. Fishing was not great, but we did find a spot were the BGs were grouped up just as we were getting ready to leave. It always amazes me just how strong the larger Bluegill are. A one pound Bluegill will feel like a 3 or 4 pound bass, especially when using light rods and 2 lb test. We saw several boats in various places on the lake but never saw anyone catching any fish. Just us. I caught a few with one that was a stout beautiful fish with orange fins (see photo), and my buddy got a few with one awesome 11 inch coppernose as his best.
    Thinking about going out to Perris this weekend. Were you drifting? I see the rod holder in the picture. Do you mind me asking what part of the lake did you finally start to catch the blue gills and lastly, were you using crickets, meal worms, redworms? Thanks in advance.

that is a big one. i got one the 24th in 5 foot of water hanging close to shore in heavy cover. there was a couple there and when i put the go pro underwater to get footage of a dink largemouth school i saw the blues get angry come out and start chasing bass. so i got one. but after i got him all the fish took back off and hid and wouldnt come out again. ill post my video under castaic if you want to see the underwater footage. though i didnt get them chasing the bass too much or when i hooked him. first one of the year for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluegillhd.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	49935
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluegill.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	49934  

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    that is a big one. i got one the 24th in 5 foot of water hanging close to shore in heavy cover. there was a couple there and when i put the go pro underwater to get footage of a dink largemouth school i saw the blues get angry come out and start chasing bass. so i got one. but after i got him all the fish took back off and hid and wouldnt come out again. ill post my video under castaic if you want to see the underwater footage. though i didnt get them chasing the bass too much or when i hooked him. first one of the year for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluegillhd.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	49935
    That's an interesting pattern, once you aught the largemouth the bluegill stopped biting. Almost sounds territorial or competitive between the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    That is a beautiful panfish.

Check out Diamond Valley, I've been catching loads there, each are at least half a pound to a pound. IDK as of recent but throughout April-June each time I've gone there I've gotten slabs of bluegills and sunfish with my biggest being a 3.01 LBS Redear and a 2.55 LBS Redear. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17554064_1874295589516538_7399313732297204485_n.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	50120

eVoked - So you caught those fishing from shore. Were you purposely trying to catch Redears or were you using lures for bass and caught those sunfish by accident? BTW, that smaller one looks to be a Redear/Bluegill hybrid. Really nice fish though.

At this time I was not aware of large gills there, but these two fish came off of whole night crawlers on a 1/0 hook. After this I started targeting them yes. Everything seemed to work but certain baits worked better some days than others. One day mealworms was the way to go other days was redworms and other days its waxworms. As for line I advise using minimum 8 pound line. During the outing I caught those two, I had 4-5 breakoffs on 6 pound line even with decent amount of drag loosened. Also since water levels have gone up a bit there are a lot of brushes in the water so the stronger line does let you maneuver past the brushes a bit better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast