Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been a long time....5-20-17

Default Been a long time....5-20-17

...and how is everyone doing?

Decided it was time for me to get out again in the surf. I have been out a total of 3-4 other times this year with minimal carnage.
    With the purchase of a new residential glass shop, April 2016, I told myself that I would commit myself whole heartedly for the first year....well almost

Decided yesterday morning that I would do an early trip to the beach with conditions looking great down South.
    I called a couple of guys to see if they wanted to join me but each had plans.
    I received a call from Nick ( anchor1 ) last night and was invited to fish up in the BU. I thanked him but I wasn't in the mood to drive 220 miles round trip.

So, I wake up at 3:05 and the proceed to roll over and catch a little more sleep. I awaken at 3:50, jump out of bed and begin my morning.
    I am then on the road at 4:19 and just have a good feeling about the next few hours.
    I arrive at Carlsbad at 5:07 to a comfortable 60 degrees, no winds to speak of and high tide that will peak in about 10 minutes.

I start getting my stuff together and of course someone is there and starts asking me questions.
    I let the person know that I want to get in the water and say good bye.

Well I knew it was going to be a decent outing when 4 casts in I nail this little critter;

It was a small yellow fin croaker.
    I let it back in the water, start casting and I get a very nice pull on my line;

This little bat ray actually jumped out of the water and was in flight for at least a foot and half...
    It took me a bit to get him on the sand, but not before getting some air again.
    I get it back in the water and start casting again, a few minutes goes by and I get my second YFC of the morning;

I proceed to get it back in the water as well and then start throwing my LC again with some good distance.

BTW, I am using a Shimano Clarus CSS-70MC, paired with a Shimano Saros 4000FA, 15# braid, and a Lucky Craft tied directly to the braid.

After a couple of minutes I cast out again and my LC just stops dead in its tracks. I start to reel it in and it is putting up no fight at all...
    I thought maybe it was a small shovel nose but after a few more cranks I see that familiar tail fan:

It's my first legal halibut of 2017 and it tapes out at 24" on the nose...
    Now I'm stoked, as it was my target fish of the trip and I already knew I was goin to keep it for dinner.
    I just can't believe that I already had 4 fish on the board, 3 different species and it's not even 6:00 yet!
    I knew I had a small window though, with conditions only lasting till about 7:45 this morning.
    I get the hali up on the sand and proceed to bleed it, than bury it in the sand for my trip home.

I decide to just kick back a few minutes and get a good look at the ocean and thank God for this fish.

OK, times up and back to fishing.
    I start throwing again but this time I'm throwing and throwing and throwing, what happened.
    Seemed like the bite just shut off. I had been at this one hole for about another 45 minutes before I decide to go look at this other hole
    I had seen when I pulled up.
    Started working my way South and when I was about back to the edge of the first hole, I get another pull on my line;

It's a small round ray and it at least put up a better fight than the flatty.

I keep making my way down the beach with no luck, there were some nice trenches but not holding anything,
    as the tide is dropping fast.
    I almost get to the edge of the other hole and I get hit pretty hard, this fish is taking line and is heading down the beach, parallel to the shore.
    At first I thought it might be a WSB, but that wasn't the case. It was this nice thick flatty;

It was an inch under 22 but was thicker than my legal and some serious will power to live.
    I get him back in the water and start to work the second hole now.
    There is quite a bit of structure there, but nothing was home, as the level was dropping pretty quick for my desired tide heights for this beach.
    That was fine though, I had a six fish morning, 4 species, 1 dinner and nothing to complain about what so ever..
    It was now about 8:00 and time to head back home. Of course I was going to continue to fish on my way back,
    and wouldn't you know it, I get a small yank and this lil guy hits the sand;

A small striped sand bass, not even big enough to breed yet.

Well, that was it for the day. It was about 8:30, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.
    I was able to get a 7th fish and 5th species.

On the way back to the truck, of course people were asking what type of fish I had. Still amazes me that locals never seen a halibut before.
    Talked with a few surfers also, who gave me some great intel... and had this one dude get a picture of me with the fish;

YES, Go BRUINS!!

It's now 1:18, the fish has been filleted and my report is complete.

Thanks for taking the time to get a look and may God Bless you all.

Robert
    <><

Nice report and getting on some good fish.

Get it in while you can. I too have only been out a handful of times this year due to work. I am in the wholesale millwork business (residential and commercial doors/windows/frames/hardware, etc.) and with single family starts increasing quickly, remodeling picking up, it has me putting in a lot of extra hours as I am sure you are seeing as well with your glass shop.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post

I received a call from Nick ( anchor3n1 ) last night and was invited to fish up in the BU. I thanked him but I wasn't in the mood to drive 220 miles round trip.

I would have loved to have fished with you this AM but I am sooooo glad you didn't make the drive up - cuz we got skunked my friend - And you got blessed with a multi-species and target dood (halibut) session

You've worked hard for months on your new business and it's been a while since you got a chance to hit the surf. The good Lord blessed you with a classic LC morning!!!!

Hope to talk (and see you soon) brother.

God bless you from me and the family,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 05-20-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: trying to make it grammatically and prosaically pleasing for forum readers - I am not sure though : |

Great comeback trip and the report too, good energy for the forum. And well deserved dinner. Hope you get out there more often. Up north here there is bait nearshore and some activity but sand has been shifting and structure patterns changing, water still a bit on a cooler side.

Way to go brotha!!! Looks like one heck of a productive session. Sorry I missed out but the call for bluefin had me goin for the long haul. Hopefully we'll get to hit the sand together again soon. Best of luck if you make it out this week for your tuna fix!!!

Don

Nice job Robert! still one of the best!

Yahoo!! WTG Roberto!
    SWEET 24" Hali!

Great report Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><

Awesome read Robert. Nice multi species session brotha. It sure was nice talking with you recently and I LOVE the shirt!

Keep up the great work bro.

GOOD JOB Roberto!!! Glad you got to scratch your itch!

Great report Robert, nice efficient outing!!
    I would need to learn how to read the beach to get a better chance out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast