...and how is everyone doing?

Decided it was time for me to get out again in the surf. I have been out a total of 3-4 other times this year with minimal carnage.
With the purchase of a new residential glass shop, April 2016, I told myself that I would commit myself whole heartedly for the first year....well almost

Decided yesterday morning that I would do an early trip to the beach with conditions looking great down South.
I called a couple of guys to see if they wanted to join me but each had plans.
I received a call from Nick ( anchor1 ) last night and was invited to fish up in the BU. I thanked him but I wasn't in the mood to drive 220 miles round trip.

So, I wake up at 3:05 and the proceed to roll over and catch a little more sleep. I awaken at 3:50, jump out of bed and begin my morning.
I am then on the road at 4:19 and just have a good feeling about the next few hours.
I arrive at Carlsbad at 5:07 to a comfortable 60 degrees, no winds to speak of and high tide that will peak in about 10 minutes.

I start getting my stuff together and of course someone is there and starts asking me questions.
I let the person know that I want to get in the water and say good bye.

Well I knew it was going to be a decent outing when 4 casts in I nail this little critter;

It was a small yellow fin croaker.
I let it back in the water, start casting and I get a very nice pull on my line;

This little bat ray actually jumped out of the water and was in flight for at least a foot and half...
It took me a bit to get him on the sand, but not before getting some air again.
I get it back in the water and start casting again, a few minutes goes by and I get my second YFC of the morning;

I proceed to get it back in the water as well and then start throwing my LC again with some good distance.

BTW, I am using a Shimano Clarus CSS-70MC, paired with a Shimano Saros 4000FA, 15# braid, and a Lucky Craft tied directly to the braid.

After a couple of minutes I cast out again and my LC just stops dead in its tracks. I start to reel it in and it is putting up no fight at all...
I thought maybe it was a small shovel nose but after a few more cranks I see that familiar tail fan:

It's my first legal halibut of 2017 and it tapes out at 24" on the nose...
Now I'm stoked, as it was my target fish of the trip and I already knew I was goin to keep it for dinner.
I just can't believe that I already had 4 fish on the board, 3 different species and it's not even 6:00 yet!
I knew I had a small window though, with conditions only lasting till about 7:45 this morning.
I get the hali up on the sand and proceed to bleed it, than bury it in the sand for my trip home.

I decide to just kick back a few minutes and get a good look at the ocean and thank God for this fish.

OK, times up and back to fishing.
I start throwing again but this time I'm throwing and throwing and throwing, what happened.
Seemed like the bite just shut off. I had been at this one hole for about another 45 minutes before I decide to go look at this other hole
I had seen when I pulled up.
Started working my way South and when I was about back to the edge of the first hole, I get another pull on my line;

It's a small round ray and it at least put up a better fight than the flatty.

I keep making my way down the beach with no luck, there were some nice trenches but not holding anything,
as the tide is dropping fast.
I almost get to the edge of the other hole and I get hit pretty hard, this fish is taking line and is heading down the beach, parallel to the shore.
At first I thought it might be a WSB, but that wasn't the case. It was this nice thick flatty;

It was an inch under 22 but was thicker than my legal and some serious will power to live.
I get him back in the water and start to work the second hole now.
There is quite a bit of structure there, but nothing was home, as the level was dropping pretty quick for my desired tide heights for this beach.
That was fine though, I had a six fish morning, 4 species, 1 dinner and nothing to complain about what so ever..
It was now about 8:00 and time to head back home. Of course I was going to continue to fish on my way back,
and wouldn't you know it, I get a small yank and this lil guy hits the sand;

A small striped sand bass, not even big enough to breed yet.

Well, that was it for the day. It was about 8:30, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.
I was able to get a 7th fish and 5th species.

On the way back to the truck, of course people were asking what type of fish I had. Still amazes me that locals never seen a halibut before.
Talked with a few surfers also, who gave me some great intel... and had this one dude get a picture of me with the fish;

YES, Go BRUINS!!

It's now 1:18, the fish has been filleted and my report is complete.

Thanks for taking the time to get a look and may God Bless you all.

Robert
<><