Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Big Bear 19 and 20

Default Going to Big Bear 19 and 20

Hey Y'all

in spite of the lack of reports I am taking my boat up to Big Bear 19 and 20. Targeting trout. Not going to participate in the tournament.

Will post how things go throughout the trip.

I'd wait a week. Usually a week after the plants or so the big ones show up.

Best of luck man ! Keep us updated

Get there early and map out several spots before you head up. If you have never been there for a May Trout Classic weekend you're in for lots of people. Im with Seal put it off if ya can.
    Oh yea GOOD LUCK & TIGHT LINES
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Arrived 645am at Big Bear Marina with my Seaswirl Striper 2101. Had to wait until 900 AM to complete all the paperwork to get permits, slip and launch.

MWD guy said they stocked 28,000 lbs of fish on Thursday. (Seal was right).

Started fishing around 1000 AM. It was blowing about 15out of the east. Cutting pretty cold through jacked. Drifted in the Observatory area first. Nothing.

Headed down to pleasure point. Drifted for a while with a night crawler and tried a bunch of jigs and plastics but wind was blowing too hard. Metered lots of fish(?) so I anchored up.

Wind died down around 1-130 pm. Then it was a beautiful day.

Caught one around 230pm. Beautiful fish around 20". Fat with great color. Great fight with lots of runs. Very fun.

That was it for Friday.

Started at 645 Saturday morning. Trolling with one on surface. One on a down rigger at 20'. Lots of people out there for the tourney. Trollers all over the place. Drifters. Still fishing you name it. Not much catching going on. Then I drifted. Then wind came up out of the east again. Tried trolling again. Tried drifting again. Then anchored. Nothing for me from 700-100 pm.

Most people only caught 1 or two. On pontoon had 6 guys on it trolling and only 1 fish. One guy got 4 including a 8 pound fish. I saw it. Big fish. Ugly as hell. 14 pounds total. The BBWD district guy I talked to Friday also had 4.

Lake weather was a bout as mixed as you could get. Cold Windy Warm Calm Windy. Water temp was about 55-57 later in the day. Water was greenish brown. Visibility about 2-3ft. Ugly water.

The fishing was disappointing. I was not in the tourney. This was the first time there since the 70s. As seal said, the plant was Thursday. I was not expecting to catch those fish, but I did hope for more action than I got. I think the water clarity (or lack thereof) played a big part. I did not use flashers for my trolling. Just spoons. Hard to troll slow enough for dave davis with a 150 Yamaha.

Oh well, that's how it goes.

Sorry to read that ya didnt hook up non stop. It sucks not knowing what the lake is doing as far as thermocline either been hoping the BBMWD would drop it sooner. Best time to hit BBL is sunrise in my experience for trout. Thanks for sharing the fun.

I had a fish finder. Fish seemed to be mostly between 15-25'. But when it was calm fish were breaking/leaping clear of the water.

Anyone care to share their techniques for trolling when the water is murky? Dave Davis sure seems like a good idea. The extra flash is a big deal in really murky water. Size, number of spinners, trolling speed? What do you use as a trailer?

Saw you out there, I was on the whaler and complimented your 2101. The fish you see jumping are carp. The fishing was tough but the bite seems to come on late in the day as we got 5 between 4-530.

weird year so far that for sure. hopefully they will turn no soon.

So far this year i have been getting them early on the surface using F5/7 perch and the husky jerk hj6 in pink tiger. then i have been picking up some from 9 to 15 feet on a straight worm and #1/2 needlefish in red dot frog and brass bikini. Just been a weird year so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast