Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Straight black worms

Default Straight black worms

Years ago the hottest color in plastic worms were black and purple. I caught tons of nice bass using black worms. Wonder why you can't find straight black plastic worms now. I'd sure like to have some black Roboworms (without any blue or red flakes).

Creme worms.

They always had a black worm in their mix.

Yep! The Creme Scoundrel, the 7.25 inch Shimmy Gal and the 6 inch Shimmy Babe were really great worms. I still have a few of these.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Yep! The Creme Scoundrel, the 7.25 inch Shimmy Gal and the 6 inch Shimmy Babe were really great worms. I still have a few of these.
    Aside from that, I don't know who else pours straight black worms.

I have a few PowerWorms that are all black, that were the rage back in the day, but those are far from your hand pours that we're used to.

Maybe I spoke too soon.. The Creme Lure Company still makes the "Scoundrel" series of worms in black with 4, 6, and 8 inch sizes. These are just the straight worm, hand poured (flat on one side) very similar to the Roboworm but a little fatter. Although I'm looking for black, they have lots of interesting colors and their prices are reasonable.

been using the 5in senkos all black no flakes...killer worm

I make both black and purple worms but only for myself. No one wants to buy those and they work great in clear and murky water. My first bass was caught on a plain purple worm.

kirk@bassinthehood.com
    www.bassinthehood.com

I fish at night quite often and find black is the best color but usually with flakes or small spots of a brighter color. Straight worms are a finesse technique that doesn't work as well for me in low visibility. Vibration and water displacement are key in low vis. I use paddle-tails, curl tails and craws in black, rarely a black senko, but I see no need for a black skinny hand poured worm. I'm sure they would catch a few fish but I'd have to have gone through everything in my box before I'd think to try one.

Thank you for your opinion but I have caught many bass at night on finesse worms. But at Bass In The Hood we make a torpedo worm called the El Gordo in both 5 and 6 inches. Both these worms have a much larger profile then a finesse worm. We also make a 7 inch spear tail worm a little thinner then a paddle tail but also very effective. I have bass fished for almost 40 years and have made worms for almost 3o years.
    Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    I fish at night quite often and find black is the best color but usually with flakes or small spots of a brighter color. Straight worms are a finesse technique that doesn't work as well for me in low visibility. Vibration and water displacement are key in low vis. I use paddle-tails, curl tails and craws in black, rarely a black senko, but I see no need for a black skinny hand poured worm. I'm sure they would catch a few fish but I'd have to have gone through everything in my box before I'd think to try one.