Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mothers Day Massacre at Lake Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    Just scored a Barrett Lake boat reservation for June 18. Time to put back the "father" in Fathers Day!" Bringing the trolling motor and binoculars.
    Any other tips on what I will only realize I'm missing after we arrive? :-)
    Is this the first time you visit?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    What's the size average at Barrett? Northern or Southern strain largemouth? Just curious lived in Diego for many years and lived above Hodges for a while but never fished Barrett.
    Strictly Northern strain, Seal. Which is a good change of pace since most of our SoCal reservoirs (Big Bear excluded) have Floridas.

And average? It depends on the year, really. There were periods of time where a 4 pound fish would be considered large, and the norm was skinny 12 to 15" fish.

This year? Fish were about 2 pounds, with a 5 or 6 mixed in between, but those fish were far and between, although we weren't really targeting them.

It's definitely a fun place to fish. You can break our baits that you would never get a bite on elsewhere and have the fish contently eat it up all day at Barrett. The only problem is trying to get through to Ticketmaster the day the tickets go on sale, since May is the prime month. Once June comes around, and triple digit temps make their presence known, it's hard to stay out there all day.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I really don't see the need for a portable fish graph at that place.

Perhaps at the end of the season when you're trying to find off shore structure, but in the beginning of the year,

you can take a snapshot of the shoreline and pretty much know where the fish should be.

You're better off with binoculars so you can see fish crashing the shad in the stick ups.

Any DFG sightings?
    I heard they were there in force Saturday May 13 and gave "A lot" of tickets!!! They weren't there at all on Sunday.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-17-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Is this the first time you visit?

Strictly Northern strain, Seal. Which is a good change of pace since most of our SoCal reservoirs (Big Bear excluded) have Floridas.

And average? It depends on the year, really. There were periods of time where a 4 pound fish would be considered large, and the norm was skinny 12 to 15" fish.

This year? Fish were about 2 pounds, with a 5 or 6 mixed in between, but those fish were far and between, although we weren't really targeting them.

It's definitely a fun place to fish. You can break our baits that you would never get a bite on elsewhere and have the fish contently eat it up all day at Barrett. The only problem is trying to get through to Ticketmaster the day the tickets go on sale, since May is the prime month. Once June comes around, and triple digit temps make their presence known, it's hard to stay out there all day.
    In July-Sep you can usually go any time you want. If you're interested in reading a fishing forum about Barrett, where their not afraid to make "FULL FISHING REPORTS" all the time. Try SDFISH.

Don't forget to smash down your barbs on all the hooks you will be using. If you did smash down your barbs and you still got a ticket. Some of those DFG wardens pull the old nylon stocking trick. They poke the nylon stocking with your hook and if it snags, "they write you a ticket." If that did happen to you, J Noble Daggett (aka etucker) has a great defense already cooked up to tell the judge. Just let me know if you need to use it!!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-20-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    ...where their not afraid to make "FULL FISHING REPORTS" all the time. Try SDFISH.
    LOL....

Barrett reports should read

"I got to the lake, we launched, and caught a bunch of fish."

Tell me when SDfish has actual reports of lakes where bites aren't as easy to come by. (HINT: They don't, simply because they like to keep things on the downlow, much like most sites should in SoCal)

LOL....

Barrett reports should read

"I got to the lake, we launched, and caught a bunch of fish."

Tell me when SDfish has actual reports of lakes where bites aren't as easy to come by. (HINT: They don't, simply because they like to keep things on the downlow, much like most sites should in SoCal)
    I only look at Barrett, so my comment wasn't meant to infer that the whole website has full disclosure. So with that being said, "it is a great website for someone who never has been to Barrett before."

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    So with that being said, "it is a great website for someone who never has been to Barrett before."
    Most definitely, especially the non-report posts.

DarkShadow.. As a flyrod and ultralight tackle guy, we go to Barrett pretty much just for the huge Bluegill! I've caught tons of bass in my life, but where can you go and catch 1 to 2 pound Bluegill on flies and poppers with a flyrod! We also used our ultralight rods and 2 lb test line with hand tyed jigs and those tiny Dardevle "Skeeter" spoons. We still brought the bass gear, but the giant 'Gills and crappie are just too much fun to ignore. WE have been fortunate to have fished Barrett a dozen times in the past few years.

I really never post reports I'm usually just in the background reading most quality reports as others do.
    As for Barrett lake? I have not been there in 20 years and at that time water was about 75 feet low at that time. The 2 times I went in the past we caught a number of bass and yes they looked sick, skinny and unhealthy as I remember not wanting to lip them, so I figured I would go back as the water level has been very high. We went Mothers Day weekend, the 2nd week of opener so we thought we would have a better bite. Arrived at lake late and much to my shagrin it was full with anglers, float tubers and shore anglers. Back in the day it was just 25 boats and was more low key and private but I understand as I tube and shore fish as well. As for a fishing report, the guys at the boathouse still had my reserved boat waiting for us as for the bite as I noticed was very hard we caught bass but they all seemed to be recycled bass as their lips were pretty beat up. I spoke with the gal at the dock and she stated that the bite was on fire before the front and that's why they had the 180 fish reports. We caught huge bluegills and still had a blast. Would I return? Probably in about 5 years if the water level stays high...but don't take my word for it...check it out for yourselves and watch out for la migra (ICE) and don't pick up any hitch hikers with backpacks as we seen a few on the back side of Barrett where my Google map took us and of course no reception to get us back on track. Good luck

I fished barrett on Mother's day also. We ended up with 54 for 2 of us.. Fished all over the lake.. Never saw any shad being pushed up so we didn't get the huge count...

Quote Originally Posted by qaze0 View Post
    ...check it out for yourselves and watch out for la migra (ICE)
    Sup man! Long time no talk.

And that's some good advice for us brown folk. I carry my passport around nowadays, just in case.

You never know.

I might end up having to teach OTMs English in TJ to make enough money to make my way back like this guy:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12