Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Bass Jig fishing in this?

Default Bass Jig fishing in this?

This photo was taken when the water was low. Now it's back up some. My question is.. would it be insane to fish bass jigs with fiber weed guards in this stuff? These roots do extend out further into the water, so it's like this out another 10 to 20 feet in places where it's about 6 to 8 feet deep. These Cypress roots are one of the main reasons that fishermen lose good fish while using light lines, me being one of them. I usually just throw Fly lined Texas rigged, skin-hooked plastics in this stuff now on heavier lines, but I'd like to try jig fishing here. Usually once a decent bass is hooked, after the jump or surface head shake, they dive down into this stuff, and many times break you off no matter how fast your reel is.

Cool pic,looks like a bed of snakes!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Cool pic,looks like a bed of snakes!

Cya Tuna Vic
    That was my first thought. Where is this?

This is the west end of Lake Evans in Riverside. The water is back up now, covering these H. P. Lovecraft looking roots with a foot or two of water.

so thats what my hooks would get hung up on lol

In open water or areas with small chunk rock, I get hung up less using a football head.

In any other situations, I've thrown a casting head all day in heavy cover without losing a single jig.

There's also a method to the madness on how not to get hung up. You have to learn how to shake and jiggle, rather than yanking, whenever you feel a hang up.

That must be what's at the bottom of the trench at Perris..lol
    That spot eats more tackle than anyplace I've ever fished in my life.
    I thought it was a mountain of chain link fencing maybe. Once you feel it go in, it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    That must be what's at the bottom of the trench at Perris..lol
    That spot eats more tackle than anyplace I've ever fished in my life.
    I thought it was a mountain of chain link fencing maybe. Once you feel it go in, it's gone.
    The ole chain link fence!

I had that happen at another spot of mine. When the water got low, I soon realized what ate two dozen of my Keitech jigs. Too bad somebody had already gone Christmas shopping before I could get them back.

Who dumps an entire chain link fence in a reservoir!?