Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  FXG International  Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  Last Chance Fishing Tackle 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Strange Response

  1. #1

    Default Strange Response

    So I show up to Laguna Niguel to fish today and I ask the ranger at the station about any fishing report and his response was "Yeah they just stocked the lake with tropical fish but I don't think they are for fishing....." I gave him the weirdest look but he seemed to be dead serious. Tropical fish??? Anybody have any input on this?

  2. #2

    Default

    I heard that they are going to stocking the lake with tropicals that are in demand in aquarium stores to pump up their bottom line. Supposedly, they will not let themselves be caught on fishing tackle but will provide feed for conventional fish.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    I heard that they are going to stocking the lake with tropicals that are in demand in aquarium stores to pump up their bottom line. Supposedly, they will not let themselves be caught on fishing tackle but will provide feed for conventional fish.
    So no peacock bass? Bummer.

  4. #4

    Default

    Maybe they are stocking tilapia. They are originally a tropical fish. They don't do well in waters that get cold, so they stock them in shallower waters and they help with vegetation control, and I think they eat mosquito larvae too.

  5. #5

    Default

    koi fish i guess lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Makin' America Great....
    Posts
    11,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    I heard that they are going to stocking the lake with tropicals that are in demand in aquarium stores to pump up their bottom line. Supposedly, they will not let themselves be caught on fishing tackle but will provide feed for conventional fish.
    Normally I'd laugh, but I dunno if you're being serious or not considering I've seen unofficial "stocks" of hundreds of goldfish at other local city park lakes.

  7. #7

    Default

    .
    ..
    ...

























    ...
    ..
    .

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Normally I'd laugh, but I dunno if you're being serious or not considering I've seen unofficial "stocks" of hundreds of goldfish at other local city park lakes.
    I think I posted it on April 3rd....which with my feeble response time might be an indication of veracity based on the proximity to the date.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonshibata1 View Post
    Maybe they are stocking tilapia. They are originally a tropical fish. They don't do well in waters that get cold, so they stock them in shallower waters and they help with vegetation control, and I think they eat mosquito larvae too.
    Tilapia actually tolerate cold water quite well. it's precisely why live tilapia are forbidden in ocean waters as bait, because they can establish and breed easily in the ocean.

  10. #10

    Default

    Tilapia are already in the San Gabriel River so they are already in the salt. But they have been in there for many years, and they have not caused any problems to the ocean fishery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •