Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  ;Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  Last Chance Fishing Tackle 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: sequoia national park fishing suggestions please!

  1. #1

    Default sequoia national park fishing suggestions please!

    I'll be going on a trip camping near Sequoia National Park (Coyote View Tent Camping) during Memorial Day weekend. Any suggestions of places to fish?? Any input is much appreciated! :)

  2. #2

    Default

    Check with the park staff when you get there. Guessing that all the rivers and creeks will be flowing at dangerous levels and blown out for fishing. The thaw is finally starting to kick in and won't peak until late July.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thooget of Humilityland
    Posts
    11,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Check with the park staff when you get there. Guessing that all the rivers and creeks will be flowing at dangerous levels and blown out for fishing. The thaw is finally starting to kick in and won't peak until late July.
    Just visited the Tule this weekend and all day use campgrounds and turnouts were closed due to 'unsafe conditions.'

    Don't end up like these guys: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...147033269.html

    If anything, do a bit of scouting and research to find smaller tributaries that may be fishable.

  4. #4

    Default

    The other two replies are correct; streams will be super high through Memorial Day and beyond, and there are no easily accessible lakes in Sequoia. Backcountry fishing can be great, and even accessible streams are usually very good there for wild trout, but be careful. My wife and I have had success in recent years in the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River near Lodgepole Visitor Center, and Crescent Creek. I think fishing is good in other creeks, but those are the only two we have tried. Crescent Creek is more meadowy and tame, so it might be better in high water conditions. It has only Brook Trout as far as we could tell. We caught them up to 10-11 inches.

  5. #5

    Default

    Hume Lake might be good and 10 mile reek might be flowing well for a change with tall the snow, but that's in Kings Canyon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    422

    Default

    There just was a huge landslide on Hwy 1 just south of Sequoia and Hwy 1 is closed in the area. You'd better check your route into Sequoia.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thooget of Humilityland
    Posts
    11,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    There just was a huge landslide on Hwy 1 just south of Sequoia and Hwy 1 is closed in the area. You'd better check your route into Sequoia.
    If your route to the Sequoias has you going through Big Sur on the 1, you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and are about 200 miles off.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    If your route to the Sequoias has you going through Big Sur on the 1, you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and are about 200 miles off.
    Darkshadow,

    You are totally correct. I was thinking of Big Sur!! Oh well, chalk it up to a "Senior Moment"!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thooget of Humilityland
    Posts
    11,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    Darkshadow,

    You are totally correct. I was thinking of Big Sur!! Oh well, chalk it up to a "Senior Moment"!


    It's ok, because I had an "OH CRAP!" moment when I read your post, since I'm headed up to the Sequoias this weekend to mash on some creeks up there and thought I'd have to make some detours.

    Once I did some research about where this landslide is, I let out a big sigh of relief.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post


    It's ok, because I had an "OH CRAP!" moment when I read your post, since I'm headed up to the Sequoias this weekend to mash on some creeks up there and thought I'd have to make some detours.

    Once I did some research about where this landslide is, I let out a big sigh of relief.
    I saw on the news this morning that Caltrans says Hwy 1 will probably be closed for a year in the area. They are going to try and put one lane through the slide area to at least allow some traffic flow.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •