Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SoCal: Where to fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Well they really don't enforce this very strictly to tell you the truth. There is no paperwork to fill out on a float tube last I checked there so there is no way to verify inspection on float tubes since they don't have you do the paperwork. Now things change often but as of recent this really has not been "enforced" at Silverwood.
    Are they pretty lenient with kayaks as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Are they pretty lenient with kayaks as well?
    I have never had mine inspected and it usually is on my rack on top. But even if checked all they do is look for it to be clean on outside and no water inside, kayaks are pretty easy to pass inspection. I always think it ridiculous when I get stopped at the California checkpoint after a Mead or Willow run, they pat it a couple times then send you on your way pretty much a waste of time but hey State employees are good at that.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I'd suggest Silverwood. I've had great success in years past in Miller Canyon stripping buggers for holdover trout in the summer and the occasional largemouth. With the extra plants Silverwood is getting and the better creek flow in Miller keeping the oxygen level better and water cooler I'm hoping that this summer will be a return to years past (dry weather and lack of holdover trout has affected that bite negatively I believe the last few years).

Big black buggers with a red head will kill largemouth, stripers and trout there.
    UPDATE: Went to Silverwood and did great! You were right on with the lake choice and fly selection. Miller is definitely a kick, but worth it. I had a black (think its technically a Krystal bugger because it has some estaz in it, whatever) bugger with an orange head, and absolutely killed it. The first cast was a fish and the bite was basically non stop from then on. I also caught a few on a san juan worm. Very little surface activity and dries were pointless. All the fish I caught were rainbows and most in the 8-12 inch range. A couple 12+ sprinkled here and there. I felt like stripping the bugger in faster produced better results, but the bite was really on so its hard to tell. The kick back is bad, your against current and if the wind picks up good luck. Still hands down best day of fishing this year, and Silverwood is going to be my new go to lake. Thanks for the help!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12