Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverwood Bluegills?

Default Silverwood Bluegills?

So I saw a report and photo today on "Fishbrain" of a very nice catch of large Bluegills caught at Lake Silverwood. I've never heard much of a substantial Bluegill fishery there at this lake. Many of the members here on FNN probably don't care about these "kid's fish", but to me and a few others, large Bluegill, Redears and crappie are what we fish for with our ultralight 2 lb test outfits and hand-tyed jigs. Not only are they a blast to catch, but they are good eating too! Crappie tacos are awesome!
    Does anyone know much about the panfish at Silverwood?.. Where to fish, etc.?

Along for the ride. Silverwood is in my backyard and would love to get on some of these on the 2 & 3wt fly rods.

I love fishing for big bull gills just as much as bass fishing. I didn't know Silverwood had a huge population of big gills. I might do a scouting mission soon to see if I can located them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    So I saw a report and photo today on "Fishbrain" of a very nice catch of large Bluegills caught at Lake Silverwood. I've never heard much of a substantial Bluegill fishery there at this lake. Many of the members here on FNN probably don't care about these "kid's fish", but to me and a few others, large Bluegill, Redears and crappie are what we fish for with our ultralight 2 lb test outfits and hand-tyed jigs. Not only are they a blast to catch, but they are good eating too! Crappie tacos are awesome!
    Does anyone know much about the panfish at Silverwood?.. Where to fish, etc.?
    In the 14 years I have been doing surveys on Silverwood (creel and electrofishing), it has never really had much of a "catchable/trophy" panfish population. Stripers and competition from a wide range of other species that fill similar niches as panfish likely limits the fishery. Crappie used to be abundant around the dock area before I got here but that has been mostly miss than hit since.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    In the 14 years I have been doing surveys on Silverwood (creel and electrofishing), it has never really had much of a "catchable/trophy" panfish population. Stripers and competition from a wide range of other species that fill similar niches as panfish likely limits the fishery. Crappie used to be abundant around the dock area before I got here but that has been mostly miss than hit since.
    What Quinn said.

Although few, The large bluegill I have seen there are indeed trophy size. There is a fishable population that lives suspended underneath the docks. They are the Northern Strain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4457.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	49800

Quote Originally Posted by QB7940 View Post
    What Quinn said.

Although few, The large bluegill I have seen there are indeed trophy size. There is a fishable population that lives suspended underneath the docks. They are the Northern Strain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4457.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	49800
    Now That's a nice Blue Gill. Biggest ones I ever caught were at Cachuma Lake using a fly rod and mealworms.

During the spring dragging a bugger in Miller has provided numerous large bluegill for me but basically I was targeting largemouth and trout with the anecdotal bluegill appearance but when caught they were good size beautiful fish. Also try the inlet in Cleghorn once the weedbeds start up. During the right time of the year I've caught big crappie on senkos fishing for largemouth in that section with the occasional bluegill also.

They are there but if you know the spots and tell they will be wiped out. Boat needed for the spots I know of sad but the people that just check this site and don't give information will kil the spots.��

I caught a nice one on a silver cast master in black oak canyon once fishing for trout. I'm sure there are lots of them in that lake if you target them

Pretty hard to wipe out a Bluegill fishery. Though you can kill a trophy-sized Bluegill fishery. People need to release the big ones. Keep only the 6 to 8 inch fish. I did find a couple of places there at the lake that usually has those panfish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast