Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Coast Family Trip

Default Coast Family Trip

This is a follow up report questions I had on a old
    post for family vacation up the coast.
    I did not fish any piers they were either closed to
    fishing or too cold.

I wanted to do a deep sea fishing trip in Santa Barbara.
    The weather has been bad and the fishing has not been that good.
    Most days before the trip they were not sending any boats out at all.
    So my son, wife, and I, walked over from our hotel to see if they had boats
    going out the next day. They said maybe, a 3/4 day boat only with 6 reservations.
    So we signed up for the trip. The bad news the wife only wanted a 1/2 day boat.
    The person told up the boat left at 7 am and returned probably after 6 pm.
    The wife was upset, she did not want to be on the boat that long. But she went to make me happy.

The next day the boat went out with 13 people on it. They fished the whole boat
    with no one within 15 ft of each other. Which was great, because the last 3 trips
    I went on had at least 60 people.

The crew was great, as soon as I walked on they grabbed my poles
    and tied the dropper loops and our 12 ounce weights on without asking.
    They ran to help us out and gave us all the advice needed. When a fish was brought up
    they grabbed are poles and said hurry go get more bait.

The weather was perfect and the fishing was better. We fished really deep 300 ft.
    The bait was a live anchovy with a squid strip on it. The captain would say load, and
    then tell everyone to drop. He would try to hold that spot and then move on. It
    took us about 30 min to figure out and then we killed it. We caught huge reds and salmon
    groupers. Some double hook ups and 90 min later the deck hand told us we caught are limits.
    Ten minutes later the captain said everyone had limits and we took the long ride back. We were
    off the boat at noon. The wife was so happy. But her and the son were so tired from catching
    them big fish that deep they went to the hotel room and slept for 6 straight hours.

I paid 30 dollars to have fish fillet, tipped really nice and gave the
    fish to people fishing the pier, since I was on vacation. Did want to try
    to go again a few days later in Morro Bay, but wife said no, I had to take
    her wine tasting in Paso Robles.
    Fishing the boat was an awesome time we had.

A great report and no replies?
    I wished I was with you folks on your catch the fish report. You all kicked butt and had a good time and that's why we fish.
    1 question? What boat were you on? Maybe I missed it or maybe there is only 1 boat where you fished from.
    Thank you for your cool report and it made my day!
    Tight Lines,
    jig-guy / Bill
    Last edited by Jig-Guy; 04-23-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig-Guy View Post
    A great report and no replies?
    I wished I was with you folks on your catch the fish report. You all kicked butt and had a good time and that's why we fish.
    1 question? What boat were you on? Maybe I missed it or maybe there is only 1 boat where you fished from.
    Thank you for your cool report and it made my day!
    Tight Lines,
    jig-guy / Bill
    Never be discouraged by no reply's. There is still plenty of people viewing FNN all the time. The members to viewers only is ridiculously out of wack!!! When I first started posting on FNN it was 8 to 1 ratio of viewers to members. It's now 40-100 viewers to each member. So plenty of people are reading, just not commenting!!!

Very cool report,I would have loved to take my wife on a trip like that,people on the pier must have been thrilled to get those fillets,wig,no waste.
    Yeah don't get discouraged about no responses on your post,trust me their still getting read.

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks for reply. The boat was the Coral Sea
    and it was an awesome time.

I heard the boats and crews up there are really good. I also heard alot of good things about the boat called colorama or something

The SB boats are pretty awesome - had the chance to try it once when the Ventura/Oxnard boats were blown in, jumbo sized rockfish locally and super limits on lings if they go island fishing (which is equal to the overnight boats a bit further south).