Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVL 4/27/17 Algae Bloom in Full Effect

Default DVL 4/27/17 Algae Bloom in Full Effect

It's been 2 weeks since my last trip and man how quickly things change. Walked up to the dock and took a look at the water and it was pea soup, full on algae bloom. I've fished the bloom many times before and have had some great trips so I wasn't too concerned with the fishing, just bummed because I just cleaned and serviced all my reels.

Focused my efforts on fishing the shallow brush on the north side of the lake. Good senko bite up shallow, caught a number of them suspended in the brush. Almost all bites came right after ticking the brush when coming over it. A lot of soft bites as well where I wouldn't know I was bit until I went to move my bait. T-rig brush hog fished up and over the submerged brush also did well. On the inside edge of a main lake point where the algae wasn't as bad stuck a nicer one with a fat Ika. Ended the day with 8 and had at least 6 short bites, many times I set the hook and came back with half my bait.

The algae was much thicker on the west end than the east end. Water temp according to the ff on the rental was around 68 on the NW end of the lake in the morning, up to 70ish in the afternoon, and a bit warmer near the marina. Saw lots of bird activity throughout the day, looked to be diving on fry along the shore. Beautiful day at the jewel, but man that algae gets everywhere.

thanks for this.. ill be out there tomorrow.. any other tips?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMattyL View Post
    thanks for this.. ill be out there tomorrow.. any other tips?
    Sent you a PM. Not sure if it went through, let me know if it didn't and I'll resend it.
    Last edited by OG MUDBONE; 04-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OG MUDBONE View Post
    It's been 2 weeks since my last trip and man how quickly things change. Walked up to the dock and took a look at the water and it was pea soup, full on algae bloom. I've fished the bloom many times before and have had some great trips so I wasn't too concerned with the fishing, just bummed because I just cleaned and serviced all my reels.

Focused my efforts on fishing the shallow brush on the north side of the lake. Good senko bite up shallow, caught a number of them suspended in the brush. Almost all bites came right after ticking the brush when coming over it. A lot of soft bites as well where I wouldn't know I was bit until I went to move my bait. T-rig brush hog fished up and over the submerged brush also did well. On the inside edge of a main lake point where the algae wasn't as bad stuck a nicer one with a fat Ika. Ended the day with 8 and had at least 6 short bites, many times I set the hook and came back with half my bait.

The algae was much thicker on the west end than the east end. Water temp according to the ff on the rental was around 68 on the NW end of the lake in the morning, up to 70ish in the afternoon, and a bit warmer near the marina. Saw lots of bird activity throughout the day, looked to be diving on fry along the shore. Beautiful day at the jewel, but man that algae gets everywhere.

Great report. Heading out there next week. Lake Perris is getting full of lake lice. Hopefully I'll do as well as you do.

Hold on to your hats boys and girls if the wind packs that algae up against the bank or cove.

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapBoyz View Post
    Great report. Heading out there next week. Lake Perris is getting full of lake lice. Hopefully I'll do as well as you do.
    Hey man, how's the fishing been this season with your son? Hope you guys have been out there killing it. Now is the time to get him on some nice fish! Good luck on your trip next week, let us know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Hold on to your hats boys and girls if the wind packs that algae up against the bank or cove.
    Shhhh

Sweet! Dvl bass and superleggera ito green is79 uc ain't too shabby either lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63power View Post
    Sweet! Dvl bass and superleggera ito green is79 uc ain't too shabby either lol
    Haha, thanks man. She's an absolute pleasure to fish. Usually fish fb jigs with it and it's pure bliss. Noticed your username, curious what car you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by OG MUDBONE View Post
    Haha, thanks man. She's an absolute pleasure to fish. Usually fish fb jigs with it and it's pure bliss. Noticed your username, curious what car you drive?
    I drive an 15 base wrx now haha. Had an evo way back when they were first brought here. AWD turbo is da lyfe lol.. Check your PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast