Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Surf casting / Surf Perch

Default Surf casting / Surf Perch

Hey guys,

Anyone catching surf perch? I have always wanted to catch them and have tried several times but nothing ever bites. Using gulp cammo worms and light tackle.

Normally fish on all shores, from dana point to long beach. Wondering if these fish are a thing of the past due to being over fished?

Update ----------------------------------

Well, I went fishing today and yesterday in long beach. Skunked again on everything. I used hammers, LC, gulp - cammo sandworms, oil colored grubs, storm shads and spoons. I got so desperate tat I even tried using my buck tails and fresh water bass green pumpkin variant lures... I seen fish jumping out of the water all day but nothing would bite. What gives?

I'm casting just past the wave break and slowly reeling them past or through the troughs from both straight ahead and to the side...Does anyone else have the same ****** luck?

Thanks!
    Last edited by h00ker; 10-23-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: update

Have you checked out any of the youtube videos on surf fishing in socal? Very useful. That is how I get my intel.

I am not much of a surf fisherman myself. Last time I went I drove up PCH towards Malibu and stopped at a few spots. Used carolina rigs with gulp worms. I kept an eye out for deep banks and riptide pools. Bite was sporadic and nothing but perch.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes ive done a ton of youtube videos. Seems the hardest lure to get is the LC 115 surf pointer in Zebra Sardine. Cannot find this thing anywhere. Ive only ever caught sharks, rays and calico. I would love to catch some perch.

Thanks again for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by h00ker View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes ive done a ton of youtube videos. Seems the hardest lure to get is the LC 115 surf pointer in Zebra Sardine. Cannot find this thing anywhere. Ive only ever caught sharks, rays and calico. I would love to catch some perch.

Thanks again for the reply!

try this... it's places where the fish hide that u gotta find.

oh guess u've seen these...

need luck too!

good luck!

Last edited by hookdfisherman; 10-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.

good winter/spring perch bite never materialized in So Ca last year. unusually warm weather/water largely considered the culprit.

No idea what this season will bring - but yesterday we hit nearly 90 so, enthusiasm is still curbed.

I anticipate spending this warm winter probing boilers and deeper rocks myself.

If I were to specifically target perch, and had to get bit I'd start with Carolina-rigged camo gulp with motor-oil red-flake ready to roll

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    good winter/spring perch bite never materialized in So Ca last year. unusually warm weather/water largely considered the culprit.

No idea what this season will bring - but yesterday we hit nearly 90 so, enthusiasm is still curbed.

I anticipate spending this warm winter probing boilers and deeper rocks myself.

If I were to specifically target perch, and had to get bit I'd start with Carolina-rigged camo gulp with motor-oil red-flake ready to roll
    Hey City Dad!,

Well, I painted on some dots on a few of my other lures to simulate the metallic sardine or zebra, either way used it for about 2 hours and also used the gulp cammos and nothing, I did get an odd bite on a krocodile that I also painted the dots on..lol nearly spooled me, it bit and than headed out to the ocean..i had to lock down my drag to snap the line. must have been a ray. No perch. I'm going to guess that they have headed south, maybe near laguna, etc..I'm pretty desperate. Wondering if any catches them all the time or are they rare now. I'm almost willing to pay someone 50.00 if they catch one while I'm with them..I just cant figure it out.

Thanks for the reply !!

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post

try this... it's places where the fish hide that u gotta find.

oh guess u've seen these...

need luck too!

good luck!

Hey Hookdfisherman!

Yes I've watched a ton of bottom structure videos as well. I seem to know quite a bit about fishing, just not good at fishing..lol Hoping to change that this season. Surf casting is awesome, i just like being there for the view and peacefulness, Would be a plus if i could catch something im targetting.. njoy your weekend!

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by h00ker View Post
    Hey City Dad!,

Well, I painted on some dots on a few of my other lures to simulate the metallic sardine or zebra, either way used it for about 2 hours and also used the gulp cammos and nothing, I did get an odd bite on a krocodile that I also painted the dots on..lol nearly spooled me, it bit and than headed out to the ocean..i had to lock down my drag to snap the line. must have been a ray. No perch. I'm going to guess that they have headed south, maybe near laguna, etc..I'm pretty desperate. Wondering if any catches them all the time or are they rare now. I'm almost willing to pay someone 50.00 if they catch one while I'm with them..I just cant figure it out.

Thanks for the reply !!
    Any L.A South bay beach will have surf perch .From playa del rey to rat beach. Small crock hologram spoons..baitfish imitations.. small curly tailed grubs.. sand crabs etc etc.Most always more prevalent and consistant perch action from El Porto to Toes over Playa Del Rey.