Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Phenix vs. Eagle Claw

Default Phenix vs. Eagle Claw

This is going to sound stupid to the more experienced guys but for me, a low-key recreational fisherman with low-end gear, it was kind of eye opening.

For the past 30 years or so, I’ve only fished a few times a year so I never invested any real money in my gear. I’ve been using the same Eagle Claw rod for 15 years that I am sure was in the $20 range when new.

However, I’ve recently gotten into float tubing and now I go out almost every weekend, and I’ve still been using my little light-tackle trout gear and it’s been fine, but I had a desire to throw some heavier baits and I also wanted a rod with a little more backbone.

So I was talking with my brother-in-law about this and through a series of unexpected events, I wound up with a relative giving me a brand new Phenix MAX-S72M which is about the least expensive rod they sell at $109.

So for the past month or two, I’ve been using them both, the Eagle Claw and the Phenix and my experience has been that the Phenix truly is a far superior rod.
    For me, the issues that stand out are sensitivity, casting, and fighting and the Phenix beats the Eagle Claw on every count.

I’m mostly catching saltwater bass and like all bass, they often just suck in the bait quietly and then spit it out. With the Eagle Claw, all I would see is a little line twitch, but with the Phenix, that little line twitch can also be felt. I’ve fished them side by side and the difference is noticeable.

As for casting, that Phenix loads up and just rockets the lure out there and when it comes to fighting the fish, the Phenix has all the backbone I was looking for.

I know there are a million variables involved and everyone has different experiences, and opinions and people get crazy about rods, but for me, the more expensive rod really has performed noticeably better – it’s not all just hype. My next rod will probably be a Phenix M1 at closer to $200 and I would have thought that was “crazy money” to spend on a fishing rod a few months ago, but for me, the difference has made me feel like the better performance really is worth it.

I’m sure there are people who are going to diss the Phenix for whatever reasons, and like I say, this is the first non-cheapo rod I’ve ever owned so I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve been surprised that the better performance has been so noticeable.

So if you’re a guy like me with K-Mart gear and you’re wondering if more expensive rods really make a difference… my experience is that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    This is going to sound stupid to the more experienced guys but for me, a low-key recreational fisherman with low-end gear, it was kind of eye opening.

For the past 30 years or so, I’ve only fished a few times a year so I never invested any real money in my gear. I’ve been using the same Eagle Claw rod for 15 years that I am sure was in the $20 range when new.

However, I’ve recently gotten into float tubing and now I go out almost every weekend, and I’ve still been using my little light-tackle trout gear and it’s been fine, but I had a desire to throw some heavier baits and I also wanted a rod with a little more backbone.

So I was talking with my brother-in-law about this and through a series of unexpected events, I wound up with a relative giving me a brand new Phenix MAX-S72M which is about the least expensive rod they sell at $109.

So for the past month or two, I’ve been using them both, the Eagle Claw and the Phenix and my experience has been that the Phenix truly is a far superior rod.
    For me, the issues that stand out are sensitivity, casting, and fighting and the Phenix beats the Eagle Claw on every count.

I’m mostly catching saltwater bass and like all bass, they often just suck in the bait quietly and then spit it out. With the Eagle Claw, all I would see is a little line twitch, but with the Phenix, that little line twitch can also be felt. I’ve fished them side by side and the difference is noticeable.

As for casting, that Phenix loads up and just rockets the lure out there and when it comes to fighting the fish, the Phenix has all the backbone I was looking for.

I know there are a million variables involved and everyone has different experiences, and opinions and people get crazy about rods, but for me, the more expensive rod really has performed noticeably better – it’s not all just hype. My next rod will probably be a Phenix M1 at closer to $200 and I would have thought that was “crazy money” to spend on a fishing rod a few months ago, but for me, the difference has made me feel like the better performance really is worth it.

I’m sure there are people who are going to diss the Phenix for whatever reasons, and like I say, this is the first non-cheapo rod I’ve ever owned so I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve been surprised that the better performance has been so noticeable.

So if you’re a guy like me with K-Mart gear and you’re wondering if more expensive rods really make a difference… my experience is that they do.

Like most things, the finer the piece the finer the performance. Phenix rods are ever so nice but they turned me off early on long about the third rod I broke. Simply too brittle for me but the one I still fish with, a little ultra light Elixir, is one of the fish-catchingest rods I have ever owned. It casts like a dream, loads up perfectly and has handled five-pound catfish with relative ease (whiskers really like mealworms presented for trout). It has sensitivity to spare. But it's my last Phenix so if it ever breaks, I'm done with that kind. I also fish an ultra light Ugly Stick that lacks the refined performance of the Phenix but is a fish-killing machine.
    Enjoy your Phenix, it is a really nice rod.

I have an Eagle Claw from 20 years ago, also Phenix and other graphite rods. Your assessment is correct. Unmistakable positive differences, just as you mentioned. If you don't have braid spooled on your reel yet, try it - with a leader and braid the feel is 99% better for the strike. I still like to take my Eagle Claw out and catch a fish with it, it's just a lot less sensitive. But once it's hooked on my Claw, I still enjoy the way that spongy rod feels and I can still bring fish in with it.

A lot of difference in a $20 fiberglass rod from 15 years ago and a $109 graphite rod today, that isn't surprising. There are a few notes on the subject i'd like to leave before we tell everyone to throw out their old gear and buy the latest and greatest.

1. There is a place for more flexable(fiberglass) rods, Crankbaits, trout spinners, bait fishing. not to mention they are more durable ie Ugly stick. Most rods are "composite" a mix of fiberglass and graphite in different proportions to achive the amount of flexability or sensativity wanted.

2. No need to spend more than $50 on an inshore or freshwater rod, Yeah most guys prefer nicer more expencive gear if you can afford it but its more important that the rod has the right Charateristics for the type of fishing that your doing than a big price-tag and fancy features.

Its better to have 3 budget rods of different sizes and materials than it is to have one expencive rod. I have probably 20+ rods most of which were under $50 either new or bought used. I have a couple of rods I splurged on but I fish more than the average bear.

My top 3 bang for your buck rods, any Ugly Stick($30 and up), shakespear graphite spinning rod from walmart($20), and Bass Pro Shops Graphite series($30-$40)

Ornery Bob,

Glad you got to see the differences in products first hand.

That jump in performance will definitely pay out well in the long run.

I have 3 Phenix ultra rods and they work for me. I'm sure others have their own fave.