Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVL is starting to come alive...

Default DVL is starting to come alive...

As we've slowly gotten into April the flowers are blooming around DVL, especially the California poppy, The quail are out, the doves are out, the rabbits are hopping around, the Eagles are flying over the lake...AND THE BASS ARE BITING.. And Im not just talking about bedfishing..
    Yes of course the bed fishing is in full affect at DVL right now but the fish are also in the prespawn mode, and also post spawn mode..

Ive had a couple really good patterns going the last couple weeks .. For a while what I was seeing was bedfish only and the other bites around the lake were on the tough side.. Now theres a true prespawn and a true post spawn in the mix which makes things fun..

On Sunday, My wife Carissa and I fished the ABA event there at Diamond Valley where I am on a couple strong patterns there as well.
    In fact I had my biggest 5 fish limit ever there on a guide trip last Thursday when our biggest 5 fish weighed in at 29 1/2 lbs.
    So needless to say, I had alot of confidence going into this event.
    Come tourney morning, Carissa started us off on the right foot by catching a keeper on her very first cast... Over the next 4 1/2 hours Carissa caught a few and I started hammering the big bass... I had multiple 4 1/2 lb fish...Things were looking great for us..
    Then right around 11:30am My bites slowed down and Carissa started hammering the bass one after another... I, for whatever reason, couldnt get bit anymore..
    It might have had something to do with the bet we made around 11:30.. The bet was whoever caught the next 4lb fish WOULDNT have to make dinner that night... Oh it was ON!!
    Next thing I know, Carissa started whacking them... Im like WTF???
    Then right around 1 pm Carissa sets the hook and a good one tail walks on the surface for about 3 ft.. Then it went on a decent run down about 30ft... Finally Carissa gets a handle on it and brings it to the net...Boom ..the bet winner 4 lbs 3 ounces.
    We continued the grind for the next few hours and even though we caught fish we needed fish over 4 lbs to help us..
    When all was said and done we weighed 20.74 lbs for our 5 fish limit.. Thats a little over a 4lb average..Great day.
    We ended up in 3rd place overall for the day which is always good...

If you are ready for a guide trip to DVL just give me a call and book your trip and lets go smash them... Prespawn, Spawn, Post Spawn...heck we can even fish deep if you want.. But we cant do it unless you call me and get on the schedule..

One note.. My buddy saw a HUE rattlesnake swimming in the water on Sunday so the snakes are already out guys... be careful out there especially if you are beating the bank..

Call me lets go fishing!!!

Pete

(909) 241-8283 cell

Just curious ... is there any trout fishing ... any brownies fishing left?

Great catch Pete!!!

YBF

not sure about the trout scene sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Just curious ... is there any trout fishing ... any brownies fishing left?
    no more browns in DVL though rainbows are still planted on occasion

I remember a little stretch when guys caught a few decent browns a few years back- maybe a couple big girls still lurking somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by bassnet View Post
    I remember a little stretch when guys caught a few decent browns a few years back- maybe a couple big girls still lurking somewhere?
    with the anoxic hypolimnion and shallow thermocline that has set up in the lake over most of the last 3-4 years I would say a couple left is the best to hope for if at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chance.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	49792

I did see two big rainbows running around the shallows Saturday, at first glance they looked like spawned out bass, but they were nice sized stockers. Nice red cheeks and stuff, but the worn out tails...

WTF is anoxic hypolimnion? Sounds like something I got in high school... but that's a long story- just low O2?

Too bad if they couldn't survive, would have made a cool fishery, any chance for a re-do with the higher water?
    Last edited by bassnet; 04-17-2017 at 09:43 PM.

I agree that anoxic hypolimnion and a shallow thermocline are major hurdles for any possibility of a "holdover" trout fishery. After the DVL opening and for a few years thereafter, one could say it was one of the best trout fisheries in California. However, once the striper population increased and forage became limited, it was all over. As long as stripers are a fixture in ANY lake, the trout fishery will be a DFW plant-and-catch proposition with no chance of holdover trout no matter what anyone says.

Big Al

Quote Originally Posted by Gobigal View Post
    I agree that anoxic hypolimnion and a shallow thermocline are major hurdles for any possibility of a "holdover" trout fishery. After the DVL opening and for a few years thereafter, one could say it was one of the best trout fisheries in California. However, once the striper population increased and forage became limited, it was all over. As long as stripers are a fixture in ANY lake, the trout fishery will be a DFW plant-and-catch proposition with no chance of holdover trout no matter what anyone says.

Big Al
    (see Silverwood)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast