Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Harbor Skiff Rental - Sunday Apr. 9

Default Newport Harbor Skiff Rental - Sunday Apr. 9

Well hello again, FNN.

My fishing buddy Ducky, my wife Krista and I went out for a little trip to Newport Harbor yesterday and had a great time! Got there and headed out to the AO with the sunrise. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wifey Sunrise.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	49765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leader Sunrise.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	49766

The bait barge had nothing but big old yellowtail bait sized 'dines, which was sort of a bummer for my wife because she still hasn't learned to use artificials. Even on the ol' LC she's been skunked everytime. I advised her to tail pin them since most of the little guys in the harbor are most likely to come up and bite the bait fish from behind, and it would hopefully increase her hook rate. It wound up being the way to go as she landed a decent sized Cuda about halfway through the day after having no takers. He bit his own way through the line at the side of the boat, so no photo op, but she was super stoked. It was the first barracuda she's ever caught, and he tugged a bit harder than the stocked trout she's used to up in Big Bear!

Ducky and I went immediately to artificials after seeing the bait. He chucked the LC for a couple Cudas, one of which was really nice sized for the harbor, taped out to 26 inches. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duckster Cuda 2.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	49768

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duckster Cuda Wrestling.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	49767 He was having a hard time navigating getting his LC free of those nasty chompers!

I was dropshotting with various colors of Zoom Super Flukes. Caught this little sandy here, about 12 inches on tape. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Sandy.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	49769 The photo was framed poorly, so he looks even tinier! Haha. I also caught a short calico (no photo op and didn't bother with the tape as he was a baby and I wanted to get him back in the water quickly) and a bait sized mackerel on the drop shot. After seeing Ducky land his big Cuda, I got a bit jealous and switched over to the LC to land this 20-ish inch range Cuda Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuda.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	49770

Despite the bummer bait and the short fish we were catching, we still had a blast. Nothing beats a day fishing with the ones you love.

Til next time.

Thanks for the heads up, reserved a skiff for my grand daughter and myself this Thursday. I'll call SP Bait company and check on bait tomorrow, if they ain't got no anchovies I'll cancel.

Great report, thanks!

Sounds like good times on the skiff,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice time Camdozer!!!!! Snot sticks (cudas) can be fun especially the bigger doods

thanks for the ree-port.

anchor3n1

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    Snot sticks (cudas) can be fun especially the bigger doods anchor3n1
    Correct you are Nick, my granddaughter caught this one on a ML Clarus

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    Correct you are Nick, my granddaughter caught this one on a ML Clarus

Hahaha very nice Verne!!!