Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: A tourist went fishing at the Aqueduct (Bakersfield)

Default A tourist went fishing at the Aqueduct (Bakersfield)

I know what some of you are thinking, "who wrote this report???" etucker1959 how the heck did that happen??? A park catfish report (yes I could buy that) A local Yellowtail report, I've seen him do that before. Stocked trout fishing, we can't get him to shut up on that subject!!! But Stripers from the Aqueduct??? Boy this is going to be good, "I know some of you must be have been thinking!!!" All's I have to say is, "I get around!!!!" I will go any where the fish are really biting!!!!

I'm a lurker on another fishing website, there is this young man who has it down on the huge Stripers in the Bakersfield area. 20 pounders every week!!!! That's a kid I would love to get to know!!! But alas, I'm left to my own devises on Aqueduct fishing. Hence, I'm calling myself a tourist on this kind of fishing. No fancy lures that I'm using or any secret spots that only I know of with my Confederates. (nope nothing like that!!) I'm fishing the most popular spot known to mankind in the Aqueduct and I'm using bait. So anyone can replicate my results!!! What was my results today??? A bite on every cast and a hook up on 7 out of 10 casts. If someone wanted to fish all day, catching a 100 Striped Bass would be possible!!! Now I bet I've got a few people interested in this report!!! So go get your Credit Cards out and for $19 I will give you this guaranteed method complete with a fishing location. (just kidding of course!!)

The secret spot is golf course road very near Buena Vista lakes. (I'll tell anyone how to get there if they want to know) The set up for the rig is either #6 pound line or #8 pound test. 1/2 ounce sliding egg sinker, bead and swivel swivel then a 2 foot leader. The hook size will vary depending on what Bait you use. I used worms (Lug & Night crawlers) Glenn used Anchovies. A number 8 size bait holder was perfect for the worms. For the Anchovy's, you're only using pieces so a number 4 size hook would seem about right. For the worm rig put about 1/3 of a Lug worm and half of a N/C on at the same time.

Where to go and how to fish your bait. Once we got off of the 5 Freeway at Highway 119 we turned left (heading west to Golf course road) I highly recommend stopping at the Shell station/food stop about 5 miles down the road. No Bathrooms at the Aqueduct and the Shell station has a Taco Bell and a Subway sandwich shop there along with Beer and Trucker food. From there Golf course road is only 3 or 4 miles west on Highway 119. Golf course road is clearly marked and just turn left when you see the road sign. Go down about 3 miles and just past the entrance to the Golf course start looking for a dirt parking area on the left hand side of the road. There will be 5-20 cars there and park in a safe spot.

Once you get on top of the ridge of the Aqueduct, pick a spot to the right of everybody. Don't bother to ask anyone how's the fishing or copy their technique for they don't know crap!!!! Yea you heard me!!! The locals don't know crap!!!! What they all seem to do is cast out and let their bait run against the bank and put it in a rod holder and wait!!! They will catch a few fish by doing this, but I want a bite on every cast and trust me they ain't getting that!!!!! I caught more fish myself yesterday then all of the other fishermen combined including Glenn!!!! I'm sure some of you are thinking, what an arrogant arse etucker is in thinking he's better then the locals!!!! Not better, my technique just takes more work and they don't want to do it!!! I didn't drive 120 miles each way to lounge by the water. (I came to slay some Stripers)

Here's the technique, bait up and cast in the middle of the Aqueduct. Flip the bail over and keep it in gear and slowly walk to your right keeping up with your line moving in the current. (don't worry I'm only walking about 20 yards to get bite) I pinch the line with my fingers against the rod so I can feel any bites. Once I feel it get heavy or a tap tap I wait till it loads up good and swing. Reel fast to pick up your slack and enjoy the fight!!! Most of the fish are on the smaller side and they have to be 18 inches or bigger to keep and your limit is 2 fish per day per person. I'll call them as I see them, there are a lot of dinks mixed in and only a few nicer ones. But with that being said, I did catch a 20 incher yesterday and some of the locals did too!!! But this trip is for fun only and not to stock the freezer with Striped Bass!!! There are plenty of guides out there, who will gladly take you on a meat hunt if that's what you're looking for???? This trip is not that!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.

I know what I was thinking when I saw this post, oh crap another long winded diatribe by Etucker, oh and secret spot, yeah golf course is secret, lol!

20 pounders every week? Sounds like somebody might be using live bait and fishing areas that are off limit, just my jealous guess..

eTucks,

You get around! First San Diego County and now Kern County.

Thx for the detailed report as always.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    eTucks,

You get around! First San Diego County and now Kern County.

Thx for the detailed report as always.
    It's Wohlford again tomorrow then Poway and Barrett after that. Throw in some Yellowtail and maybe some Crappie (Elsinore, Henshaw or Isabella) I'm going to be pretty busy for the next month!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    It's Wohlford again tomorrow then Poway and Barrett after that. Throw in some Yellowtail and maybe some Crappie (Elsinore, Henshaw or Isabella) I'm going to be pretty busy for the next month!!! lol
    Barrett?

Next thing I know you'll be eating caviar and wearing Donald Trump brand name suits.

(And agreeing with HawgzWylde)
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 04-05-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Where you at, CerdoLoco?! Great timing for your vacay.....!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Barrett?

Next thing I know you'll be eating caviar and wearing Donald Trump brand name suits.

(And agreeing with HawgzWylde)
    Agreeing with HawgZWylde?????? NEVER!!!!!!!! The Trump Presidency in it's first 100 day's is far worse then I feared or even imagined in my worst nightmares!!!!! I would be very surprised if HawgZWylde "EVER" showed his face in the GD section again. He would be so vulnerable to try to explain all the crap he spouted for years. Remember how he spouted about how terrible the Democrats were for their acceptance of crony capitalism. I would skip right over that and get straight to Nepotism in the Trump White House. (that's an old trick that every Banana Republic leader turns too!!!) Calm down etucker1959!!!!! Excuse me while I go breath in a paper bag to help me calm down!!!!

I'm back, as for his partner in crime. I think he's destined now to wander the air ways of the Internet without finding a home!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-07-2017 at 06:53 AM.