Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on how to spend BPS gift card

Default Recommendations on how to spend BPS gift card

Hey guys, I am fairly new to the fishing game and just got a $125 gift card to Bass Pro Shops.

I have yet to catch my first bass, though i have caught some blue gill, trout, and some salt-water species. I am really eager to land my first bass. I have had numerous skunks in city park lakes and once at castaic lake.

What would you recommend to help me land a bass, or any fishing must-haves?

My gear:

Shakespeare alpha rod with an Abu Garcia silver max bait casting reel(starting to get pretty good with it!)
    Ugly stick rod & reel combo.
    Zebco rod & reel combo(I can't remember the model, it may be splash 2.0 or something like that)

baits&lures:
    - 5" watermelon Senkos
    - 1 small spinner from walmart(its orange and neon green with small silver blades)
    - Soft swim bait white flukes
    - a few robo worms
    - creature baits
    - some bass attractant from wal-mart?
    - a lot of trout stuff like pb, salmon eggs, and dips.

I am a shore fisherman, by the way.

Thanks guys! Tight lines!

I have always found that I catch 90% of fish on only 10% of my tackle, and 10% of fish on 90% of my tackle. Whenever I need to regear I usually spend my money on good fluorocarbon and quality terminal tackle that make life easier. I would suggest Seaguar Invizx, #4 or #6 on spinner for dropshot and senko fishing, #10 or #12 for baitcasters. Couple bags of roboworms, margarita mutilator, morning dawn, a good spinnerbait or two, and some scroungers with zoom fluke in smokin shad and baby bass. Line and plastics aren't as exciting as the newest plugs, jerkbaits, and crankbats, but I feel the fluorocarbon is a huge advantage over likely more visible mono or copolymers. Let us know what you end up getting.

Since you are new, I would focus on drop shot tackle i.e. Roboworms, weights and mustad drop shot hooks.
    Also, Texas rig setups i.e. 1-2/0 hooks, 1/8 and 1/4 weights and 4-6 inch finesse worms. Natural colors.
    You can catch a bass on any lake in CA with this.

Secondarily, maybe get 3-4 small reaction baits. A jerkbait, square bill, popper etc....

After a season or three you will know what else you want. The tackle grows and grows if the addiction sticks.

You could also use it for a down payment on a Roman Made Mother.

Dropshoting takes patience but works in all lakes in any conditions, lure color, size and leader length will vary. 6 or 8lb spinning rod, dropshot hooks, worm hooks for fishing around weeds or trees and 1/8-1/4oz weights. Robo worms will work for this and T-rig.

Those little worms can catch big fish...

next thing I'd get is a 3/8oz strike king or booyah spinnerbait in shad and bluegill color.

time on the water with these 3 techniques will get you a green bass soon.

other things to make sure you have:
    needle nose pliers, small scissors, polarized sunglasses

my advice is to not spend all of the card at once. Just get a couple things or the minimum $ order for free shipping and practice with the gear you have until YOU know what you want/need.

Going fishing with someone who knows how to catch them is also huge. Maybe you could find a fishing partner on FNN who can get you on your first LMB
    Last edited by twin22s; 04-04-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fixed pictures...

briseno09,

IMHO, (and always take opinions with a grain of salt....)

1. While I do realize that the term "It's not the wand, it's the magician," is a very popular adage in fishing circles, it's hard to explain and have someone understand that there is a difference in regards to how smaller a learning curve becomes in relation to the quality of your tackle. Your Black Max will certainly be a good starter reel, but if you are serious in getting better at catching bass, I honestly think you're going to need a better rod to start with in order to flatten the learning curve. Sensitivity is a huge factor and it determines getting home with a skunk, or coming home with bass thumb.

I know that when I was a wee little lad growing up, it was hard learning how to fish a Texas rigged worm properly (which is a staple in bass fishing) because I found it difficult to keep constant contact with my bait (which is essential in bottom bouncing techniques), simply because the quality of the rod I was using did not assist in doing that. My bait felt 'mushy' and I could never ascertain whether I was sliding through trees, rocks, sand or mud. And if you can't tell what your bait is crawling through, that means telegraphing bites became even harder.

"Was that a bite? Or was that a rock?"

And by the time you've had that fleeting thought, the fish has already spit your bait out. After I got my first decent graphite rod, I often wondered how many bites I missed because I simply couldn't feel them on a fiberglass rod.

Now, I'm not saying to go out there and break the bank on a $500 G Loomis. In fact, while perusing my favorite place where I spend most my money online, I ran into a VERY cost effective rod and in my mind, I thought, "this would be a great beginner's rod."

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dai...ishing~d~14%2F

And if you want to spend a bit more, this would be excellent for Southern California bassing:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/tem...-rods~d~190%2F

(And, if you wait on Fridays and sign up for their weekly newsletter, you can get another 25% off those prices listed)

So, for almost 20 bucks for the Daiwa or 40 bucks for the Temple Fork, you're getting, what I think, is a good beginner rod that will definitely assist in making the learning curve less steep when bass fishing. Paired up with the Black Max that you already have, it can be your 'all around' rod that can handle most situations. With a rod constructed with more graphite like the Daiwa or TFO that I posted, you'll definitely get better contact with your baits, but more importantly, pick up those *tiny* bites that are par for the course when fishing for largemouth. Don't expect a "yank the rod outta your hands" type of bites with these guys.

2. So with a better baitcaster combo now, you can then focus on getting basics and terminal tackle, and that's where you can use some of that Bass Pro gift card.

If I were to make a starter pack for someone who is just getting into bass fishing, this is what it would contain:

(BOTTOM CONTACT BAITS)

a. 4" Senko, in any 'natural' color. Local favorites include any watermelon or green pumpkin combination.
    b. 4" Roboworm, again, in any 'natural' color. Local favorites include Aaron's Magic, Oxblood w/ Red Flake. This will be your basic drop shot worm.
    c. 6" Roboworm, again, in any 'natural' color. The larger 6" is best when Texas rigged or when using a larger drop shot rig.
    d. 4" Creature bait, in any 'natural color.' This is a 'larger profile' type of bait that can be Texas rigged as well.

(I'd mention to throw a few jigs in here, but fishing uphill (aka, from shore) ensures you'll lose those things before the sun comes up.)

(VARIOUS WATER COLUMN BAITS)

e. A 3/8th spinnerblade or 2. I'd get 1 'shad' colored and 1 'bluegill' colored. These are great when fish are chasing baitfish, summer through late fall. Plus, you can't get these stings stuck even if you tried.

f. A 'chugging' type of a topwater bait. The mighty Pop R is always a good choice, in a shad color.

g. A "walk the type" topwater bait. The mighty Zara Puppy is always a good choice. For some reason, I love the baby bass pattern.

h. A jerkbait. The mighty floating Rapala is a killer, although with 2 treble hooks (or 3 in some models), the risk of getting snagged, or getting yourself snagged increases.

(SOFT SWIMBAITS)

i. A pack of pearl flukes. Extremely versatile and can be fished throughout the water column. I've fly lined it, put it on jigheads, used it on a dropshot....

j. Pack of 3" swimbaits. Just like the fluke, but with a 'swimming tail.' Tie it on a jighead when the fish are eating baitfish and hold on.

(TERMINAL TACKLE)

k. Pack of size 2/0 Wide Gap hooks. Works great for Texas rigging plastics, and fly lining flukes.

l. Pack of size 6 Drop Shot hooks.

m. Drop shot weights, assorted. (From shore, I'd stick to 1/16th, maybe 1/8th)

n. Texas rig weights, assorted. (Same size)

o. Jig heads, (1/32th, 1/16th)

p. 8# test, (quality monofilament, I like Maxima) I wouldn't go with fluro until I got my casting on point. FC tends to be stiffer than mono and if not spooled correctly, can shoot off the spool, causing major backlashes.

My 2 cents.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank every single one of you for taking your time to reply to my question.

DarkShadow, I'll definitely be upgrading my rod. I have found myself asking "was that a rock, tree, or a bite?" and I think having a more-sensitive rod would aid in being able to distinguish the difference. I picked this up as a hobby last year and I don't mind dropping some money here and there so only dropping 20-40 for a better rod sounds amazing!

So what I've picked up from everyone's responses, focus more on some drop shot tackle (robos, senkos and terminal tackle) and get good with those and then maybe a spinner (in shad, and blue gill colors), and then work my way to soft swimbaits.

How do you guys rig top water lures? I assume they're light because of their buoyancy(though I could be wrong) which means casting may not be great. I guess I ask because I was advised to flyline a senko a while back when I only had my spinning gear and I wasn't really able to cast out.

I'll keep you guys updated on the order(s). Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    DarkShadow, I'll definitely be upgrading my rod. I have found myself asking "was that a rock, tree, or a bite?" and I think having a more-sensitive rod would aid in being able to distinguish the difference. I picked this up as a hobby last year and I don't mind dropping some money here and there so only dropping 20-40 for a better rod sounds amazing!
    That 7'3" model is perfect, especially if you're fishing from shore. The extra length will help in casting.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    How do you guys rig top water lures? I assume they're light because of their buoyancy(though I could be wrong) which means casting may not be great. I guess I ask because I was advised to flyline a senko a while back when I only had my spinning gear and I wasn't really able to cast out.
    You should be able to cast a 4" Senko quite a ways. They are heavy even fly lined.

And you can cast a topwater bait quite a bit as well...

1 thing I also recommend? Crimp the barbs on your trebles. You'll be doing yourself, and the fish, a great favor.

I will add again and I stated above, Texas rig gear. From shore its is very hard not to get snagged dragging up hill with the DS. I would take the TR over a DS from shore. Plus with the TR you can use multiple baits with it.

Basically, 6-8 hooks, the same amount of 1/8, 5/16 and 3/8 weights and 3-5 bags of plastics and you can hit the local lakes and catch fish. That's how I started and how I roll checking out a new lake. That amount of tackle is just a small box in your back pocket humping it all over DVL.

I long for the days of one box fishing. Oh the joy. Now I hump 30 pounds with me every bass trip.......the just in case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    I will add again and I stated above, Texas rig gear. From shore its is very hard not to get snagged dragging up hill with the DS. I would take the TR over a DS from shore. Plus with the TR you can use multiple baits with it.

Basically, 6-8 hooks, the same amount of 1/8, 5/16 and 3/8 weights and 3-5 bags of plastics and you can hit the local lakes and catch fish. That's how I started and how I roll checking out a new lake. That amount of tackle is just a small box in your back pocket humping it all over DVL.

I long for the days of one box fishing. Oh the joy. Now I hump 30 pounds with me every bass trip.......the just in case scenario.
    Thanks Stinkbait! I have some bullet weights that I can use or the T-Rig and will be trying out both rigs next time I'm out. Likely won't be til next week since I work a 9-5 and Saturdays are my only opportunity and it's suppose to rain all Saturday morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast