Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations on how to spend BPS gift card

briseno09,

The rain is supposed to be pretty much over by 7:00 am Saturday with scattered clouds thereafter, (according to the "Doppler 7 Thousand" radar). I'd give it a Go!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    briseno09,

The rain is supposed to be pretty much over by 7:00 am Saturday with scattered clouds thereafter, (according to the "Doppler 7 Thousand" radar). I'd give it a Go!
    Thanks BassinPLS! I recently checked and saw that the rain is only overnight. I picked up some stuff from my local walmart since my order isn't in yet.

I made a quick 2 minute video of the tackle that I had and the new stuff I picked up tonight. look below:

New Gear:
    - KVD 3/8 Spinner Bair
    - Pepper Custom Baits 1/2 oz Jig
    - Rapala crank bait
    - Rapala segmented lure

Before heading out I'll be picking up some 8 lb test since I only have 4 lb(for when I fished for trout at SARL, 15 lb(first size I bought, usually use it on my saltwater rigs), and 10 lb (my go-to as of right now). I'll also be picking up some drop shot weights. I want to see how this weekend goes with the new knowledge I picked up from here and then put it in my order(I won't be spending the entire gift card at once). I'll report back after Saturday(hopefully with pictures/video of my first LMB!). I'll probably hit up 2-3 city lakes. I have my eyes on Lincoln Park, Echo Park, and Legg Lake.

You got a lot of good info there. I just want to add some, dropshot and Texas rig is good start for all city park lakes. Get the weight as light as your setup can cast, 1/4 is good start. For plastic Don't go crazy on color stay with a few color like green with Red flake, black/blue and may be some white. Senko is good or you can get cheap BPS stick bait. Get some finesse worm or thick worm those are good for both dropshot and Texas rig. Also for top water lure I would look into jitter bug and prop bait which is good and effective for small pond. Don't worry about any crankbait just yet, but if you insist then get lipless crank in 1/4 (be careful you gonna get snag a lot).
    My invite to you to fish at my lake is still standing whenever you ready just let me know.

Briseno09,

I would highly recommend you invest in some Fluorocarbon line. Say some 6# for a drop-shot rig and some 8-10# for a TX Rig. Bass are VERY line sensitive. It is more expensive than mono line, but IMHO the best investment you can make when fishing for Bass or Trout for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    Briseno09,

I would highly recommend you invest in some Fluorocarbon line. Say some 6# for a drop-shot rig and some 8-10# for a TX Rig. Bass are VERY line sensitive. It is more expensive than mono line, but IMHO the best investment you can make when fishing for Bass or Trout for that matter.
    Would you recommend doing like a 15 pound line, and then having the leaders that you mentioned above? Or does the entire line have to be that set up?

briseno09,

Personal I do not fish heavy line. I will throw 12 lb mono on crankbaits; but with worms & jig I will fish between 6 lb and 10 lb floro. In the last 15 years, I have only broken off one fish and that was a 10+ lb LMB at DVL I hooded on 6lb. He got into the weeds. If I am flipping the weeds, I will throw 40-50 lb braid with a 12lb floro top shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12