Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Blues

Default Blues

Caught out of San Diego today.

Make that yesterday, just noticed the time on my original picture.

Attachment 49742
    Last edited by commiechew; 03-31-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks for the picture & glad you got bit. Is there any story of you trip? Boat, Bait how did you catch them?
    TL's
    Jig-Guy / Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jig-Guy View Post
    Thanks for the picture & glad you got bit. Is there any story of you trip? Boat, Bait how did you catch them?
    TL's
    Jig-Guy / Bill
    They're not mine unfortunately.

On the San Diego 3/4 day $145, out of Seaforth Landing. Off shore Mexico, international waters so no passport necessary.

Marked big fish on many, 5 or 6?, spots. Caught on smaller silver flatfalls mostly and not all the Shimano type either, so I'd try whatever you got until you find the right one.

Again, not me but others lost probably 5 or so due to too light of gear, I'd say. The fish this day were large, so be prepared for anything, especially BIG!

There were a lot of small yellowtail so you also need lighter tackle in case you come across the small fish, they ate live sardines and I don't believe any of the big fish ate live bait but I could be wrong. All the boated tuna were flatfall caught.

Capt on the San Diego is very good, he definitely wants a great weekend business wise, and it should be. He worked hard to put us on fish and gave us all the tips necessary to BOAT them, we just didn't have the right stuff!. Don't be fooled by the low counts on board my trip, the fish were and are there, we just couldn't boat most of the hooked ones.

One other thing, the most important? Big 103 lbs or so, small was about 84?
    Last edited by commiechew; 03-31-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks for the report.
    DR

$145 for a 3/4 day trip? Seems a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    $145 for a 3/4 day trip? Seems a bit steep.
    Not as bad as it sounds. (It's really a Full day trip 6-6 or longer) The normal 3/4 day San Diego trip is destined for the Coronado Islands or Tuna fishing. $38 dollars of your boat fare is for your 2 Mexican required documents. (a fishing license and the screw the gringo PMMS or something permit) When their tuna fishing, their logic is they burn a lot of fuel because their trolling all day. (also it's usually big game fishing) Tuna or Yellowtail are on the menu almost every trip except during the winter months. A 3/4 day trip up here in the LA/Orange county area is much cheaper, $60-$80 average but what do you catch??? Usually not Tuna or Yellowtail!!! They have been going to Catalina a lot in the last few years and did pretty good because of El Nino. However, this might be more of a typical year when not too much in the way of exotics are caught on our local 3/4 day trips. Catalina Island had good Yellowtail fishing last year but next to nothing for the Yellowtail along the coast. (Yellowtail haven't showed up in numbers at Catalina Island this season yet) So I'll go back to that old saying, "you get what you pay for!!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-01-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    DR
    X2 that was a nice report.

Ty, my pleasure.