Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Valuable fishing lessons....

Default Valuable fishing lessons....

Last week in February I went over to my folks on Flathead Lake in Montana to help out as my mother had just had surgery. Lovely 10 hour drive with 30 miles of it in white out conditions (my years in Alaska did not go to waste). It was a rousing time with the folks…..as you can tell it was hard to stay awake….

Anyway, the day before I left my wife called and said I better bring home some trout or there would be trouble. Not wanting to upset her royal Queennessness….I headed over to the close by Swan River to see if I could relieve it of a rainbow or two. It wasn’t swimsuit conditions….

About 3rd cast into the bubbling power plant waters I tagged a nice 16 inch bow but couldn’t get it over the ice and snow. So I kept at it and a while later had a nice 20 inch bow whack my rainbow trout jerkbait. Managed to hoist it over the snowy rocks and I had at least one meal procured for the Mrs……

This is where life’s lessons began. I walked over to fish under the old Bigfork bridge….

Decided I better put on some snow boats so I didn’t soak my tennis shoes. This is where some of life’s simple lessons were learned.

Lesson One: When packing your snow boots for a road trip (in case of emergency) it shows great wisdom, when you have two pairs of black Sorels, if you check to see that you don’t have two left feet. Very awkward to walk far in….

Lesson Two: When wearing said snow boots (both left-footed) because the snow is pretty deep around the river you are fishing. One should not forget these are “snow” boots and not wader boots and then walk into the water. Gets cold freakin fast and wet.

With my wet, freezing feet I did not manage to find anymore trout along the Swan. So next morning it was back in the car heading back to Boise. Along the way I passed under this interesting “wildlife overpass”….evidently the deer and other critters are smart enough to use it rather than run across the highway…..uh huh. Not sure who designed this bit of rocket science. Haven’t ever seen any animals using it but have seen several mushed around the highway near it.

Decided to stop and fish the Beaverhead River as it ran underneath the interstate for several miles hoping to net my wife a few brown trout for her fish eating desires.

Using the same rainbow jerkbait managed to catch 3 nice browns and release a few others to take home for the skillet.

Lesson Three: When handling male brown trout be very careful where you stick your thumb….

Could be worse if you were catching barracuda.

Lesson Four: When placing the fish, your wife pretty much ordered you to catch and bring home, in HER kitchen sink…..it is wise to seek permission first (I mistakenly believed the kitchen belonged to both of us…..wrong)….

Lesson Five: When removing your stinky fishing socks at the end of the trip, be careful to put them somewhere the terriers cannot retrieve them and rip them into tiny pieces…..

By-the-way the fish were quite tasty and as far as lessons: now I know…hmmm…

Brian

Hope your mom is feeling better. That is some beautiful country, thanks for the story. I enjoyed it.

Ha,nice pics and read,hope your Moms doing well,she definitely looks in recovery mode,a lot of reading material,and the all important remote within reach!
    My wife is recovering from shoulder replacement and other injuries,the scene is similar.

Cya Tuna Vic

Great post!