Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Puddingstone March 25.

Default Puddingstone March 25.

Hello all, I went out to the Pud this past Saturday with two friends and we were all skunked. We fished from the shore. They drop shotted some Senkos on spinning reels and I baitcasted a trout swimbait(which ended up getting thrown into the lake after a failed attempt at a cast after my line got frayed, $12 gone), a crank bait, and a green with orange spinner bait. I saw other anglers out there all of which had also seen no action.

We started at 10 am and called it quits at 2 pm. One of my buddies loves saltwater fishing(it seems to be easier) so we ended up heading to Belmont Pier and fished there from 330 to 7. After the first 1.5 hours of no action, the mackerel bite was on(we used squid as bait)!! Combined, the 3 of us around 30 fish. My friend got a total of 5 double hook ups! We released the smaller mackerel and gave away the larger ones(we didn't take any home since, not only do we not eat mackerel off the pier, but we planned to get on some bass which would be C&R'd so we had no bucket).

I'm thinking of going out again this Saturday coming up. I am still hopeful that I can catch my first bass soon!

Was there Friday at the Pudd...It def. is slowing down.. Same situation most guys on the lake had it tough..A number of bass are already post spawning..Prob. be another wave of bass spawning but not like its been...I am going to be in topwater mode and tossing bluegill lures around submerged trees and any area i spot them guarding the fry.
    Last edited by dday07; 03-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Been going a lot and see a few getting caught each time. Mostly in the evening from 5 to closing. Landed a 4 pounder in the wind on Saturday. Mornings have been decent, a lot of nice chasers with a few takers on white jigs.

Was there Friday also, bud got a 5 pounder and saw two nice ones caught by others. Friend also got a 2 pound crappie on topwater.

Quote Originally Posted by dday07 View Post
    Was there Friday at the Pudd...It def. is slowing down.. Same situation most guys on the lake had it tough..A number of bass are already post spawning..Prob. be another wave of bass spawning but not like its been...I am going to be in topwater mode and tossing bluegill lures around submerged trees and any area i spot them guarding the fry.
    TOPWATER MODE WHOOT WHOOT!! Don't mess with me like that man, the word topwater gets me GOIN!!! A Green pumpkin Boo jig, the one with a couple chartreuse and a couple red strands, with a purple grass pig jr trailer is a dead ringer on the bluegill bite.
    Last edited by sumodnb; 03-27-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add content

I'm willing to bet the farm that Thursday is going to be nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercracker View Post
    Been going a lot and see a few getting caught each time. Mostly in the evening from 5 to closing. Landed a 4 pounder in the wind on Saturday. Mornings have been decent, a lot of nice chasers with a few takers on white jigs.

Was there Friday also, bud got a 5 pounder and saw two nice ones caught by others. Friend also got a 2 pound crappie on topwater.
    Around what time did you catch that 4 pounder? Also, which part of the lake were you fishing? When I got there, we had to park on the north shore since there was some cycling event going on that caused a lot of road closures. Police told us we would have to get to the other areas by foot, so we were pretty much bound to a small part of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sumodnb View Post
    I'm willing to bet the farm that Thursday is going to be nuts.
    Why do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by dday07 View Post
    Do you fish off the shore or a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Do you fish off the shore or a boat?
    Shore...Was there a few days ago and got two..One on a trap and the other on a z. spook

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Around what time did you catch that 4 pounder? Also, which part of the lake were you fishing? When I got there, we had to park on the north shore since there was some cycling event going on that caused a lot of road closures. Police told us we would have to get to the other areas by foot, so we were pretty much bound to a small part of the lake.
    Think it was around 6PM by the lifeguard house. Got a 5 1/2 pounder between the two docks left of the sailboat ramp a few days later(around the same time).

Managed a 2 pounder and one just shy of 5 pounds before the wind kicked me out last night. Big one hit right before 8PM at east shore. Most caught on plastic craws and creature baits.