Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 25 fishermen rescued off of fishing boat by the Coast Guard off of San Clemente Is.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 25 fishermen rescued off of fishing boat by the Coast Guard off of San Clemente Is.

The first thing I do when I start reading a new thread is to know "who" the author is." That usually will tell me what kind of a thread I'm reading and what angle that person is usually coming from in their writings. People who following my writings know I write fishing reports and talk about Political topics. I leave the Human interest stuff to others who do a much better job then I would do.

When I came across this article of fishermen needed to be rescued off of a fishing vessel, I wasn't cruising through my fishing information websites. But Yahoo news looking for the latest Dumb stunt President Trump did "TODAY"!!! So the article wasn't written for local consumption. It was a national story so those little fine details didn't stick out immediately. Two things immediately come to mind after reading the headline. San Clemente Island means it's a local boat and 25 fishermen means it's a 65 footer or bigger. The 4 boats that immediately come to mind are the Freedom, Toronado, Thunderbird or El Dorado. I was close, it was the Trueline from San Pedro. (I am sure many of us have ridden those boats to SCI, so it could have been us!!!)

The details in the article were slim but haven fished these boats for over 40 years I understood what happened. At 3:00 pm Saturday the boat ran over a submerged rock at San Clemente Island and tore a hole in the boat. The boat immediately started taking on water and the Coast Guard was summoned for assistance and was able to safely evacuate all the passengers. The crew made the courageous decision to try to save the vessel. They hauled butt with the bilge pumps working over time and safely got the vessel to the Newport harbor boat yard for repairs. (they were shadowed the whole way by the Coast Guard for their safety)

In the 40+ years I've been riding the sportfishing fleet. There have been many causality's to many boats I have ridden on. You would think that number would be going down with all the advance technology but it hasn't. Several boats have sunk or been damaged besides the Trueline in just the last couple of years. (we won't count those 2 clowns who sunk their own boat for the insurance money) So this brings up the meat of my thread.

President Trump with all his inexperience in governing is going to effect all us fishermen who think the Pacific Ocean is our personal fish pond!!! (Me included) In his first budget, like all good Republicans before him, Trump thinks the only good expense for the government is the Military. Other then that everything else is just "WASTE, FRAUD and ABUSE"!!!!! So every other program should be able to get by with a lot less money!!!!! So cutting the Coast Guard budget by 30% should not cause any "HARM" to any person!!! They can just get rid of the waste, fraud and abuse and nobody will know the difference. How does the President know this????? Because every Republican since Reagan has said, "this is true!!!" This has been tried on the State level a few times with "Disastrous results." Governor Brownback in Kansas is the poster child for this failed experiment. It's never been tried on a National level till now. Why because the Democrats wouldn't allow it. (Obama coined a phrase I didn't like at the time) Now the Republicans use it all the time. Elections have consequences!!!!! A lot of people on here thought it was funny to poke fun at Obama and Hillary. A lot of them even voted for Trump, where are they now defending their boy and his new policy's????? Either they are hiding under a rock or just about now crossing the Mighty Mississippi in their U Haul towing a fancy boat!!!!! Leaving us here to face "THEIR MUSIC!!!"

I wrote a pretty good fish report a couple of months ago that morphed into something pretty weird. Lady Q put in a link to Gordon Lightfoot song of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. (I will admit I played it a few times before the thread got taken down) The lyrics are pretty accurate to what really happened to the freighter lost in bad weather on the great lakes. They had mentioned several times in the song of the 29 seamen who lost their lives with the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Let's just hope we can ride out 4 more years of President Trump's administration, (I don't think he will get re elected) without any major catastrophes. "I DON'T WANT TO BE ONE OF THE 29 SOUL'S LOST AT SEA" that could have been saved if the Coast Guard was operating at Pre TRUMP levels!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-21-2017 at 11:43 PM.