Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Crappie and Bluegill in Lake Evans (Fairmount Park Riverside)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crappie and Bluegill in Lake Evans (Fairmount Park Riverside)

Is there anyone here who has caught crappie and Bluegill in Fairmount Park? I'm trying to figure out the Black Crappie and Bluegill fishery in this park's lakes to see if the waters would benefit from a stocking or multiple stockings of these panfish to enhance the fishing. I am trying to put together some information to present to the City of Riverside. Redear Sunfish would actually be a better choice than Bluegill because of Bluegill's tendency to over-reproduce and get stunted in their growth. Redear lay less eggs and grow to larger sizes in less time than the Bluegill do. Another thought would be to bring in the popular Florida strain Bluegill, which are present in nearby Lake Perris, and grow to larger sizes than the normally stocked "Northern" Bluegill.
    If anyone can tell me about your Bluegill and/or crappie fishing success at these lakes, please let me know. You can PM me if you would prefer.. Thanks!
    Jeff

I haven't fished it in a while but last summer I went out there for about an hour and caught 3 crappies and 2 bass on a crappie tube jig.

If there is enough bait to sustain crappie, it would be nice to have a few more lakes with them

I've actually seen large groups of Threadfin Shad spawning in the late spring in Lake Evans. There does seem to be a shortage of Mosquitofish minnows, which are usually found in large numbers in shallow places.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I've actually seen large groups of Threadfin Shad spawning in the late spring in Lake Evans. There does seem to be a shortage of Mosquitofish minnows, which are usually found in large numbers in shallow places.
    Yes, I have seen them there as well. The bass love those shad.

As for the crappie, I did catch a mess of them several years back. Excuse the poor quality video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADWkZ9yqtk

They were biting like mad back in the spring when I filmed that. Nothing big, but I would imagine there are more schools just like that.

carpanglerdude.. Thanks for the video. I sent you a PM..