Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Need Knot Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need Knot Help

I have 4lb mono on a reel and want to add a 5' fluorocarbon leader, also at 4lbs. I've tried a Surgeons knot (2 loops) and another Surgeons knot (3 loops) and a Seaguar knot that THEY say is for joining mono to flouro. None of the knots came undone bot all broke on the knot. I was careful and tied them several times. My next attempt will be tying both sides to a TIPPET RING if I can't find a knot that will work. Anyone else have this problem? Any hints will be appreciated!

Fluro is brittle and doesn't fare well if knots aren't lubricated. That might be all it takes.

Uni to uni works well for me.

use an allbright knot and use the mono to tie the knot.

Quote Originally Posted by gridjockey View Post
    use an allbright knot and use the mono to tie the knot.
    I've used this knot with setting up my fly reels and used to use it for tying mono to leadcore but use the Willis knit now. Didn't think of it in this application and will give it a try BECAUSE I'M GETTING DESPERATE!!! I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by sandtrout; 03-20-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post
    Uni to uni works well for me.
    I use this knot when I'm joining braid to mono...I'll give it a few tries and post how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtrout View Post
    I use this knot when I'm joining braid to mono...I'll give it a few tries and post how it went.
    There's a knot called the Roy Rose. Used to attach Fluro to braid. Form a loop, pass the line, several wraps then reverse and snap. A little more to it and a video is much better than writing, but maybe that would work?

sandtrout,

Here is a link to a Youtube posting on Tackle Warehouse's website that shows Shin Fukae drop shoting with the new Gamakatsu's new swivel hook; but 7 minutes into the video he shows how to tie a really easy knot that I love for tying braided to line to floro. It is super fast to tie and even easy for my old fingers and eyes! I am not sure how it works with mono to floro; but you might give it a try.

Here is the link:
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogp...?ccode=VLOG362

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Fluro is brittle and doesn't fare well if knots aren't lubricated. That might be all it takes.
    I probable lick the $h!t out of the line so I don't think it's that but I'll retry it and moisten the line with chapstick and give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtrout View Post
    I probable lick the $h!t out of the line so I don't think it's that but I'll retry it and moisten the line with chapstick and give it another try.
    OH! Well, you might be licking them too hard then I am not a fan of fluro, but I carry it I guess to have another trick in the box. I prefer just straight, plain old mono, never have much of a problem getting bit. I use clear Ande for everything up to and including 20 lb for Albacore. Well, when we used to get albacore.