Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Line Finesse Fishing Question

Default Light Line Finesse Fishing Question

I found a successful way to bass fish my local lake...wacky worm thin Senkos. I use 6lb straight flourocarbon (Seagur Invisix)on a 1000 Sedona spinning reel & 7.6 rod. no backing. Spooled new line this year.., maybe 1/4 to 1/2 spool...line don't want to stay on.Thoughts???

MM

MarkyMark,

What do you mean by "line don't want to stay on"? Is it twisting and wanting to flip off the front of the spool? If so, you may have wound it on the spool wrong. The line spool should be laying on it's side, then wind on 8 or 10 cranks of line and stop. Check the line to see if it is starting to twist. If so turn the filler spool over on it's other side. Spinning reels need to go on the spool the same way it was wrapped on the filler spool. If you don't install it the right way it causes all kinds of trouble.

Yep^^^.
    For spinning reels the spool should be laid on its side.
    The line needs to come off the filler spool counterclockwise......

Yeah. Twisting off spool when I open the bail as if it's full. I layed the filler spool face up on floor while sitting in chair.

MM

Fluorocarbon has always given me fits on spinning gear, the memory is a pain. I gave up and only use co-polymer anymore. I have had issues with knots just falling apart for no apparent reason too.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Yeah. Twisting off spool when I open the bail as if it's full. I layed the filler spool face up on floor while sitting in chair.

MM
    I don't know if this is some kind of industry standard, but I always find that I have to put the spool label-side-down to not get twisted. I do perform the check described earlier, though (reeling in for a little bit, then letting the line go slack to see if it twists).

Learn to tie a uni to uni (line to line) knot. Use either a thin braid or Berkely Nanofil as your main line with a floro leader. No line twist issues with the braid and nanofil. A spool of floro lasts a long time when only using 10 feet at a time. I know this doesn't solve your current problem, but that braid set up is really good.

After you spool up, tie the end of your line to a post, or something sturdy. Walk out about 150 feet of line, and engage the bail, and PULL!!! Do this for about a minute. Any memory will go away.

Respooled last night, went out today. Same problem but worse tangled tangled tangled...I experimented with braid last year...with uni knot. I noticed cast weren't that smooth.

MM

I found that to happen on some brands of FC, some being a lot more stiffer than others causing it to explode off the top of the spool, regardless if spooled "label down" or "label up," (if this wasn't a line twist issue.) I experienced this once with Toray's Superhard. Great on a baitcaster. Absolutely a pain on a spinning reel.

Now, Is the line 'twisting' that you're experiencing? Or are you getting loops flying off when you cast? If it's line twist, I recommend dropping a lot of line in the lake and walking around the perimeter and then reeling back in.

I've never used Seguar Invizx so I have no experiences with it, but quality FC will sit on spools correctly, but also have very little memory.

(Back in the day, I've heard that you could drop your spool into water overnight after filling it and clipping the tag end on the spool's line clip to prevent it from flying off the spool too easily. Have no idea of that's an old wives tale or anything, but you'd never catch me dropping aftermarket spools or spools with bearings in water overnight, but that's just me.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast