Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Tamed a Beast! Mission Ghost accomplished!!!!!!

Default Finally Tamed a Beast! Mission Ghost accomplished!!!!!!

Well guys i have been MIA from the board. but plenty of lurking and fishing by me. Appeciate all the reports, keep it up everyone! First off i wanna sorry for not posting as much. I've been working a lot and fishing every chance i get. which is a session or two a week. I have had some awesome outings since my last report. one session was all croakers in the 17-19.5" range including a few legal halibut. and this nice fat calico i scored last november. along with another 20" size.

Anyways fast forward a few months and many great sessions. Late feburary My friend juan and i have found out the ghosts have been frequenting the local hole again.

2/27
    We hit the morning high and Juan hooks up at around 9am just before high tide. around a 5ft tide. Nice one 25" ghost on the sand. I had just switched to the DS and flung it out there. second cast this guy slammed it and started running. My sinker was down his gills and it must have swallowed my whole rig! luckily easy removal and quick CPR on a healthy 25". juan hooks up again with another one in the low 20"s. we called it a day a bit after.We hit it the next day i get skunked and juan gets 3 ghosts and a croaker. just couldn't get a bite for the life of me.

Next session we get down to the spot at greylight. Conditions were perfect. I had a feeling we would pull something nice soon. Scored two within the first 10 minutes. a 18" and 26". Then a big set comes in and i thought i got snagged as i was walking back to evade the wave. all of a sudden my rod goes full bendo and the fish start bolting up the coast. then up and down the coast several times and kept changing directions all the way up onto the sand. i knew it was the one and it was incredible fight. i'd say it took 5-7 - 15-30yard runs and the battle lasted 2:30 - 3 minutes. Felt fine handling the fish using 20lb braid and a 15lb pline leader. Now i have the confidence to handle a bigger specimen. I was so stoked screaming to myself on the drive home.
    33.5"

After i caught the legal we casted religiously for the next out. hit 3 more spots real quick and then went back to the honey on the start of the outgoing. 24" halibut hits the swimbait in the skinny and is on the sand! Wooo double legal day! Ended 2016 with 4 legal halibut and have got 2 this year this putting my at total 13.

The next morning with hit it again on 3/10 and i scored a healthy 27" at greylight!!!! no bites the rest of the session. All of the WSB hook ups were using weedless swimbaits. the day i didn't get a bite was the day i wasn't using weedless. the salad was an issue every session. love the warbaits. Sorry for the long report but this fish has been a goal of mine since i started surf fishing with lures. Especially after almost losing my foot to a staph infection.

One last thing guys. careful on the rocks! i saw my friend Juan get slammed on the rocks, lose his, rod, glasses, and one of my booties i let him borrow to cross the rock section.

Keep it fishy everoyone! - Sean

Sean! Unbelievable! Private boaters in la jolla don't have days that good. Ur an inspiration to all us shore pounders

Hi Sean:

Wow I'm sorry to hear bout the foot infection but I'm happy to learn that you recovered

Way to go and congratulations on finally landing a legal WSB - beautiful fish. Keep up the good work and be safe out there my friend!!!

Nick

Wow that's something to scream about,don't blame you at all!
    Those are the kind of days and outings you'll be remembering for sometime,WTG,

Cya Tuna Vic

good report and pics...
    nice fish,,,

cm

Congrats on the legal WSB from the surf. Hard work, skill, and time on the water pays off.

those are some awesome outings for sure!
    I've been hitting the surf for many years and still no legal butt or biscuit for me..
    your report got me all inspired again lol!

Thanks for sharing!

Great report Sean. Congrats on achieving your goal of sticking that ever so elusive legal ghost. I tried lipping a WSB ONCE....Last time Ill do that...LOL
    Nice flattie and checkered fattie as well.
    Keep up the assault young man.

Mike

nice! keep living the dream young man

I'm consistently impressed (and if I'm being totally honest also jealous lol) of your reports, Sean. Awesome work and thanks for the report.

And I'll double madbass's sentiment of feeling all inspired by you to go hit the surf this weekend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast