Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Just Got a Tube for BDay, Seeking Advice

Default Just Got a Tube for BDay, Seeking Advice

Hey FNN,

Mom, wifey and company all sported to get me a float tube for my birthday, which I am super stoked about! Have some questions regarding using it safely and some areas that are good starters to get my feet wet. I've seen videos of dudes doing La Jolla Kelp, etc. in tubes, but certainly not thinking that's wise any time soon until I get the basics down and can use the thing expertly enough to navigate my way through potentially hazardous situations.

I have fins, waders, safety jacket, a rod holder and the tube is well stocked with space so I won't need to bring along a tackle box.

My main concern is finding some waters that are calm enough to get my feet wet and train up my muscles, but still produce fish. Certainly individual spots shouldn't be shared here, but maybe some experienced tubers can point me in the right direction at least as far as safe places and where to launch from? Maybe even setting up a meet up and fishing together? Always great to spend a day fishing with new dudes.

Also, if there's any general advice any of the experienced tubers have to offer. Where are the bones buried kinda thing.

Hopefully next year I'll be totally BA and go for some big yellows or seabass down in LJ or closer up here in PV.

Thanks, guys.

I have a map of Southern California Saltwater Float Tube Fishing Launch spots that I've put together.

Launching off the beach isn't a problem in small surf, but I think you should definitely get comfortable in the tube first and get a feel for planning trips according to the tides and weather. I would stick with Mission Bay at first.

In calm water, you simply back into the water, but if the surf is bigger than mid-calf, it's often better to go in face first and belly down on the seat and then power out of the surf before you flip yourself over into the seat. So I would stay out of the surf until you're comfortable with a maneuver like that.

There is the Float Tube Fishing Forum with some San Diego based members so you could try posting there.

Personally, I'm based in Long Beach and I've never tubed in San Diego, but if you're willing to come up to Long Beach on the weekend, or even as far as Newport Beach, I'd be happy to join you for a session on the water.

My main advice is that the tides matter more to float tubing than any other type of fishing simply because you don't want to be trying to kick against the tide at the end of your session to get back to your launch spot on days with high tidal coefficients. You will most likely already be tired and trying to fight the tide to get back to the car gets old real fast. Plan your trips so the tide pushes you away from your launch spot in the morning and back towards it when you're done.

Top tip - the weather and water are warm now, so on your first trip, don't wear your waders and after you're in your seat for a while, purposely dump yourself into the water and learn how to get back in/on the tube. I pull myself onto the tube face first and then flip over. It's basically the surf launch move, but do it in calm water. It's a great confidence builder and a simply way to make sure you're safe and comfortable. It works the same in waders, but it's messy.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions - have fun!

This map is amazing! Thanks so much for the detailed reply. :)

I'm actually located up in Burbank, but I brought up La Jolla and PV because I've seen tons of videos of tubers and yakers killing it on WSB, lunker calicos and even some yellows down in those spots, which I eventually plan to get involved with.

I actually have family down in the OC and make plenty of trips down there for fishing and visits, so I would love to meet up sometime and try to get the basics down! In fact, I'm not sure what your schedule or job scenario is, but my proper birthday is this Wednesday, and I'm planning to take the day off for my tube's maiden voyage. I was thinking Newport Harbor, and it looks like the tide is going out in the AM and coming back in starting around 11 or 12, pretty much perfect based on what you were saying.

I'll add you as a friend and message you my number so we can get together sometime even if Wednesday's a no go. I'll be working every weekend until Mid May, but weekends should be on like Kong after that!

I'm only available on weekends, but let me know when you have a weekend day free and we will get together.

I'd recommend launching from the Coast Guard Station in Newport - free parking and a good gateway to both the inner and outer harbor. You can ride the tide out to the breakwater, have fun with the mackerel bite and ride the tide back drifting for bass and halibut.

If you're looking for something a little closer to home, I'd recommend the spot called "Naples Kayak Load and Launch" in Los Alamitos Bay for Wednesday. Cross over to the docks on the other side of the bay and fish them with the outgoing tide (heading East) and then cross back to the south side and fish it back to your launch spot.

Good luck!

I've never tubed open waters, but Bob sounds like the expert. Besides closely watching the tides, also pay attention to the winds; it really sucks trying to kick home against winds above 10mph. Like Bob said, plan your spots accordingly. I shouldn't talk though. There's been many times where I fell to temptation and kicked across POLA only to find myself caught in a situation where I'm barely making headway against the tide and winds. Not fun when you know you're going to miss curfew and you know the wife is going to be mad. I use the Magic Seaweed app to constantly check swells, winds and tides before and during sessions.

That said, you're going to have a blast. MB is an awesome spot to tube fish.

Oh, and for some reason, I can kayak fish for and entire day and not have to pee once. I'm a tube, it seems like I have to pee every 15 minutes. Maybe it's just me.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 04-25-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Just took my kayak out for the first time to Mission Bay. Good spot for float tubers too.