Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Saturday, March 11 at SARL

Default Saturday, March 11 at SARL

I took advantage of a slow-season day off and hit my favorite fishing hole, the River Lakes. It took an hour or so to find the fish but they were there, and they were hungry. Finished my limit of "stockers" at straight up noon, and it was fresh trout for dinner. The quality of the average "stocker" at Santa Ana River Lakes this season has been extraordinary and a lot of fun to catch on the ultra-light tackle. My five fish weighed just over 11 pounds with two of the fish going a solid three pounds each. Unreal quality.
    My fish all came on worms, two on my beloved blown-up half 'crawler and three on the designer, blown-up mealworm. Trout seem to really go nuts for those tasty little grubs. The water is almost back to normal after the recent chocolate milk. Though still carrying a slight stain, visibility is several feet and plenty clear to fish my offerings a full 16 inches off the sandy bottom. No short leaders needed today! I was hoping for a whisker or two today, but saw only one caught. Maybe next time?
    It is always good to get out on the water and today was no exception. Caught what is probably too much sun, but there was a nice breeze came up about 11:00 and cooled things off just as it was getting hot.
    A big thank you to the folks at Santa Ana River Lakes for keeping the magic going.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    I took advantage of a slow-season day off and hit my favorite fishing hole, the River Lakes. It took an hour or so to find the fish but they were there, and they were hungry. Finished my limit of "stockers" at straight up noon, and it was fresh trout for dinner. The quality of the average "stocker" at Santa Ana River Lakes this season has been extraordinary and a lot of fun to catch on the ultra-light tackle. My five fish weighed just over 11 pounds with two of the fish going a solid three pounds each. Unreal quality.
    My fish all came on worms, two on my beloved blown-up half 'crawler and three on the designer, blown-up mealworm. Trout seem to really go nuts for those tasty little grubs. The water is almost back to normal after the recent chocolate milk. Though still carrying a slight stain, visibility is several feet and plenty clear to fish my offerings a full 16 inches off the sandy bottom. No short leaders needed today! I was hoping for a whisker or two today, but saw only one caught. Maybe next time?
    It is always good to get out on the water and today was no exception. Caught what is probably too much sun, but there was a nice breeze came up about 11:00 and cooled things off just as it was getting hot.
    A big thank you to the folks at Santa Ana River Lakes for keeping the magic going.
    Great report!!!! We are going this coming week (Lighting Trout!!!) so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. I take it you fished from a boat, we are renting a boat so I want to make sure we are comparing Apples to Apples. I don't need any spots. (been there too many times to count) Do you use a fish graph?? (I have a portable one) The most important question, do you add any scents to the worms??? I'm going to try my old try and true method first. Drifting with P/B, but if that doesn't work I'm going to give your method the last ditch effort!!! (I know it works for you)

Lighting trout. Nice fish! Hard-fighting, tasty and just plain cool to look at. I do not use a fish graph, never have. I use Pro-Cure Garlic Plus as my scent, but only on my nightcrawlers and M&M's if i am using that bait. Mealworms are tricky to float and anything extra on the hook just drags them down. They have to be up off the bottom to be effective (unless you are jigging them along).
    Good luck next weekend!

Wow...I'm shocked that anyone posted!!! Thanks!!! After checking here daily it's nice to have something fresh to read!!!

It felt so good to get out I just had to share. Work has been very busy, making the days off more conducive to sleeping in than doing just about anything else. Things just got to going so fast, felt great to slow it down a notch even if just for a morning.
    The lake is ready to go off, water clearing up and the fish are hungry. Go get some!

Quote Originally Posted by sandtrout View Post
    Wow...I'm shocked that anyone posted!!! Thanks!!! After checking here daily it's nice to have something fresh to read!!!
    Thank you for posting your Jess Ranch trip. I too was there that day, but it's hard to post they didn't stock and we didn't get a bit all day long. lol In reality, I am not a good all around fishermen. I can do certain things very well, but there are other things I just suck at!!! (throwing plastic from the shore for trout is one) I will write up our SARL trip this Friday good or bad. Also my pond catfish trip this weekend to Miles square park. (kids catfish derby)

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    It felt so good to get out I just had to share. Work has been very busy, making the days off more conducive to sleeping in than doing just about anything else. Things just got to going so fast, felt great to slow it down a notch even if just for a morning.
    The lake is ready to go off, water clearing up and the fish are hungry. Go get some!
    Thanks for some tips!!! I will first try my old method of drifting power bait from a boat. (I fear shad problems for that method) Then it's Marley's way!!!! If it works Marley will get full credit!!!! If it doesn't work, "I'm not Marley!!!" lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-14-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Thank you for posting your Jess Ranch trip. I too was there that day, but it's hard to post they didn't stock and we didn't get a bit all day long. lol In reality, I am not a good all around fishermen. I can do certain things very well, but there are other things I just suck at!!! (throwing plastic from the shore for trout is one) I will write up our SARL trip this Friday good or bad. Also my pond catfish trip this weekend to Miles square park. (kids catfish derby)
    I also could NOT throw any plastic from the shore, a boat, or float tube. And then...AND THEN (drum roll please) I borrowed my friends "way-overpriced" GLoomis 6.5' UL rod with 2lb test and, all of a sudden, any plastic I tried worked perfectly. I bit the bullet and bought one, then tried it in a float tube at North Lake. Ohhhhhhh yeah!!!!! Released all the fish but got over 30. Still pricey though so i got a custom made 7.5' rod (with a Phoenix blank) from Mujica for $150 two years that helps getting some distance from the shore and its my go-to rod from the shore with great action on plastics.