Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Halibut at Night??

Default Halibut at Night??

Hey was just wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing for halibut at night? Best case scenario I am going to be getting off work at 12am tonight and wanted to know if it would be worth going and throwing the LC around for an hour or two.

Sorry for late response.

Yes I have had great luck night fishing for halibut. I usually drop-shot a super fluke in white with some scent. With the grunion run predictions going on right now, night fishing with the LC could have great results. Not just for halibuts but white seabass likes to lurk in the shallows during grunion run =0)

Good luck out there.

Grunion runs are fun to fish as long as you're willing to be dog tired the next day at work :)

I've been out to a few of them, and they make great live bait. Don't expect only hallies though, as all the shore range predators are out and about gorging themselves on the shmorgishborg from my experience. Calicos, croakers, maybe a seabass, et al.

Also have had moderate success on grunion colored LCs during the runs during observation only season. If I recall correctly, the observation only season is April - June, so you should be good to hit the next couple runs before then. Look it up though to be sure if you do run into some of these little guys and plan to use them for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by camdozer View Post
    Grunion runs are fun to fish as long as you're willing to be dog tired the next day at work :)

I've been out to a few of them, and they make great live bait. Don't expect only hallies though, as all the shore range predators are out and about gorging themselves on the shmorgishborg from my experience. Calicos, croakers, maybe a seabass, et al.

Also have had moderate success on grunion colored LCs during the runs during observation only season. If I recall correctly, the observation only season is April - June, so you should be good to hit the next couple runs before then. Look it up though to be sure if you do run into some of these little guys and plan to use them for bait.
    Sweet thanks. As far as the grunion runs go would it be worthwhile to focus my efforts at a lagoon close to the inlet or should I mainly just stick to surf fishing? And I will definetly try my luck with using them as live bait. Would the basic sliding sinker rig work well or try to flyline them depending on the current and depth?
    Last edited by BillyW; 03-13-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    Sorry for late response.

Yes I have had great luck night fishing for halibut. I usually drop-shot a super fluke in white with some scent. With the grunion run predictions going on right now, night fishing with the LC could have great results. Not just for halibuts but white seabass likes to lurk in the shallows during grunion run =0)

Good luck out there.
    thanks for the advice I will also give the dropshot a try

Default grunion run

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    Sorry for late response.

Good luck out there.
    Does anyone know where to find live up to date (previous nights run) information on grunion run locations (websites/lifeguard tower/phone numbers)? I haven't found a good run in a few years since it changes from beach to beach and many times they are a "no show". Thanks ahead of time if you any have info!

I lost my biggest Halibut in the surf at night using a live grunion Carolina rigged with a 2 oz slider 18-24" leader on 2/o circle hook. I used #20 line. During the 3rd night of the run is what I've had success catching bat Ray, sand shark, & something my son hooked into, fought for 2 1/2 hour battle. Lost it after running up & down the beach. Real fun fishing the the G runs. Experiment with the times yourself. Good luck��

Quote Originally Posted by ono1 View Post
    Does anyone know where to find live up to date (previous nights run) information on grunion run locations (websites/lifeguard tower/phone numbers)? I haven't found a good run in a few years since it changes from beach to beach and many times they are a "no show". Thanks ahead of time if you any have info!
    That I don't know. I've done really good at Seal Beach. It really depends on the crowd. If there's a big crowd with bunch of people using flashlights, more likely the grunions won't come up in huge numbers. I prefer going the 2nd, 3rd night of a prediction run with a very late run prediction (1-3am hightide) that way, most of the grunion hunters are gone and leaves the beach deserted for the grunions to show. I've experience a run at 11pm where it was super super windy and pretty chilly outside. Only 7 hunters out (3 in my party) and that was the best run I have ever experienced. Good luck to you. Today should be a really good grunion run *wink wink*

One more thing I want to add.

If you are at a spot and see hunters standing in the water when the waves comes up, I suggest moving. Reason is that the grunions are coming up with that wave and they bump into your legs and get spooked, then they will retrieve back with the wave. So try to find a spot where it's empty about 40 yards. Also, when the first few grunions come up, leave them, don't catch them. If you do, the grunions will move down the beach. If those return safely, the next few waves will bring a flurry of them up.