Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Keitech FAT Swing Impact

Default Keitech FAT Swing Impact

Thank's to a mention by a fellow fisherman, I decided to try these swim baits and I think they deserve a mention.

I fished the 2.8 in the "Sexy Shad" color on 1/8 oz realistic looking jig heads in both regular and underspin style. I clipped the rounded heads of the baits back a little to make them snug up to the jig heads better. I'm a believer in realistic eyes and profile.

Up until now, the only swim baits I've used have been Big Hammers and they've caught me a lot of fish. I always give them the hot water treatment to soften them up a bit and make them swim better. As you probably know, the "secret" to getting the best action is careful hook placement. It has to be centered side to side and it has to be the right distance back so the bait sits naturally on the hook.

The main difference I noted right away with the Keitech baits is they are softer. According to the Keitech website they are also salted and have a squid scent. I understand the salting gives them a higher density and so they sink better and I did notice that they sank better than I expected on the lightweight jig heads.

They also have a very thin "hinge" section connecting the paddle tail to the body and so it gives very good swimming action at low speeds (meaning on the drop).

The only drawback I found is the softness equates to a lack of durability. I had two of them get bit in half by mackerels and they rarely survived a hookup and catch. At $9.00 for a pack of eight, they make me want to figure out how to pour my own.

All in all, if you're a swim bait guy, I think these are worth giving a try.

I agree with comment. I used big hammers for stripers at Skinner. I am now using the knock off version of the fat swing impact by Bass Pro called the "speed shad". They are on sale right now at $3.49 a pack for 8 baits to a pack. At that price it is worth a try to get the most of your money.

I bought the easy shinner and fat swing impact in sizes ranging from 2.8" to 6". The baits were made to catch freshwater fish and they work great for that. the bigger baits i wouldn't mind only getting one fish out of since it would most likely be a 5+lb LMB. The smaller baits are killer on trout too. I usually get 2-3 fish on each in fresh water. I have the 4" in a kinda brown sardine color(forget the name right now) that i am going to try in the salt next time I go, hopefully have a report for ya.

These are finesse swimbaits for finicky and educated fish, its a give and take on durability vs effectiveness.

Any suggestions to make these FAT Swing Impact last longer. I noticed that the hook kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by sebast1ano View Post
    Any suggestions to make these FAT Swing Impact last longer. I noticed that the hook kills them.
    The softer the plastic, the quicker they die. The softer the plastic, the better they swim. The better they swim, the more bites you get.

It's that Catch22 in fishing that we all have to deal with.

You can carry glue or a lighter on you. But, 1 or 2 fish per bait is par for the course.

(Beats throwing a BigHammer for hours without a bite, I say)