Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to gaff a great white!!!! 02/24/17

The clipboard girl has checked me multiple times at the Dana launch ramp, no green truck in sight. I have a clipboard.
    Don't you guys.
    Federal Money spent on little to no enforcement.
    Those morons will be made an example of. I can catch great white sharks in front of mommas house is more to the point

Are you not going to the OC surf this summer?
    Overhead? This isn't Amityville. Someone's going to die in the surf soon.
    We have large man eating sharks here now, it wasn't that way 20 years ago, then again I was lean at 180, and I used to drink beers on the left side of the pier. Legally on the sand.
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 03-02-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Not so lean anymore

Every person who fishes anywhere needs to purchase a license. Is it just me or does a pier breed STUPID? I will also add that I think people who want to fish should pass some kind of aptitude test. Even if it is only to prove they can read a copy of the regs. Habitual pier and jetty anglers get a free clueless ride.

Where have you been Bones? I thoughts old FNN guys were dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    Where have you been Bones? I thoughts old FNN guys were dead.
    Just standing in the shadows and waiting for the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Just standing in the shadows and waiting for the spring.
    That makes two of us

My wife showed this to me on facebook the day the story broke. Worst part for me is that it happened in my home town :(

Pretty damn offensive, and I'd echo Bones sentiment about piers and stupidity. Literally only ever seen 1 true sportsman fishing a pier, and he was just loading up on mackerel for a catfish derby he was participating in the next day. Everyone else is just out there harvesting meat or bringing the kids because they read somewhere online that fishing can be good family bonding.

Also, I wouldn't be concerned about any threat to human life because some juvenile whites are swimming in the surf zone. At that size and age they are feeding on fish and some invertebrates. The chance of it thinking a surfer or swimmer is food is downright out of the question. Also, they tend more toward flight than fight when they feel threatened, especially at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by camdozer View Post
    My wife showed this to me on facebook the day the story broke. Worst part for me is that it happened in my home town :(

Pretty damn offensive, and I'd echo Bones sentiment about piers and stupidity. Literally only ever seen 1 true sportsman fishing a pier, and he was just loading up on mackerel for a catfish derby he was participating in the next day. Everyone else is just out there harvesting meat or bringing the kids because they read somewhere online that fishing can be good family bonding.

Also, I wouldn't be concerned about any threat to human life because some juvenile whites are swimming in the surf zone. At that size and age they are feeding on fish and some invertebrates. The chance of it thinking a surfer or swimmer is food is downright out of the question. Also, they tend more toward flight than fight when they feel threatened, especially at that age.
    Bones and your sentiment is spot on! I fish the pier during off season and when lakes are full of lice! What you have is typically people who think that no license means no regulation or have not or can not read any portion of FISH & Game regulation book in their entire life. There are good sportsman and bad sportsman everywhere. It really hurts to see all our fishery deteriorating everywhere from the sierra to the sea! I am on a periodically telephone opinion survey by Fish & Game Biologist and they echo that within entire California there are only a small number of F&G Officer, therefore, it cannot be an enforcement condition but an integrity honor regulated environment ! However, it warms my heart when I read about prosecution of poachers!

Not all pier fishermen are morons or dolts, but these guys on that vid do take the cake for that. Same with all the gawkers who fueled their idiotic actions. Now, as someone who has fished the Santa Monica pier as an occasional pier rat, I have learned a lot from the regulars, and that has included rules and regulations. Of course, you do get a lot of individuals who don't give a damn about rules, or go do bullshit, like snagging lobsters and crab. Much like any hobby, you get boneheads who ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    I can't see the video on that page. Has it been taken down?

... Is this the same video that is posted on youtube where the guy pulls that poor hurting shark over the pier whilst people protest?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12