Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Fish Finder charts for DVL?

Default GPS Fish Finder charts for DVL?

I am going to finally spring for a GPS/Fish Finder (heavily leaning toward the Raymarine Dragonfly-7 Pro) and it comes with some existing mapping software. However I notice that some of the Chart packages do not include Diamond Valley.

For those using charts on DVL, what has been your experience? Which chart package is your preference?

Than you.

The Old Hooker

I use Insight Genesis and Navionics+. DVL is actually one of the only lakes in SoCal that is somewhat accurately covered. The others are a joke. I pretty much making my own Insight Genesis maps now.

One thing I would recommend is getting a graph that has live mapping. With the maps being so bad around here, it is a must IMO. Lowrance, Hummingbird, Garmin, Simrad and Raymarine all have models with real-time mapping. I use Lowrance HDS Gen3 with Sonar Charts Live. I also log sonar and upload it to both Insight Genesis and Navionics. Once I have a lake covered, I use the maps I created in Insight Genesis.

You guys (girls) are great! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    I am going to finally spring for a GPS/Fish Finder (heavily leaning toward the Raymarine Dragonfly-7 Pro) and it comes with some existing mapping software. However I notice that some of the Chart packages do not include Diamond Valley.

For those using charts on DVL, what has been your experience? Which chart package is your preference?

Than you.

The Old Hooker
    When I bought my Lowrance Fish Finder, I went ahead and paid the extra $100 on both units to include their "InLakes" software. That was a waste of $200. I broke down and bought the Navionics Hot Maps chip for $100 at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach and have been very pleased with it. The contour interval is much better than the InLakes and it contains more Lakes....including DVL.

Humminbird ChartSelect allows you to purchase just a single lake (generally for $10) instead of having to buy an entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    When I bought my Lowrance Fish Finder, I went ahead and paid the extra $100 on both units to include their "InLakes" software. That was a waste of $200. I broke down and bought the Navionics Hot Maps chip for $100 at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach and have been very pleased with it. The contour interval is much better than the InLakes and it contains more Lakes....including DVL.
    Thats great choice. What version are you using? I just bought HDS-7 Gen 3, so confusing between Navionics Hotmaps Platinum vs. Navionics Hotmaps Premium, which one should I buy?
    Last edited by Alexallen; 04-24-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexallen View Post
    Thats great choice. What version are you using? I just bought HDS-7 Gen 3, so confusing between Navionics Hotmaps Platinum vs. Navionics Hotmaps Premium, which one should I buy?
    Alexallen,

It's been 9 years since I bought the Navionics chips for my Lowrance Fish Finders, (HDS 7's). The version I have are old HotMaps '09. They still work for the limited performance of my older HDS 7 units. I am retired and when I bought the Lowrances they were a MAJOR upgrade from the old units that came with my boat. I was like a kid in a candy store when I got them; but now they are so many good units available, that these are old news!

The Navionics Web App has a sonar map of Diamond Valley - you can see it for free online - Navionics Web App

I've been running Navionics on my GPS enabled iPad for about a year and I think it's great. I've been sonar mapping the crap out of the places I regularly go and I've seen the master charts get more detailed over time as their computers read and digest my data every time I get home and the iPad syncs up with their server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast