Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Underwater Tip Up Pike Analysis

Default Underwater Tip Up Pike Analysis

Underwater Northern Pike Behavior while ice fishing using a Tip Up and Dead Herring for bait. To get this video I just sent a GoPro down to watch what would go on while I had a Tip Up set up. Pike even chased off a walleye. Was surprised since this was 5 feet of water and i havent seen the walleye in that area before. Check it out and hopefully you enjoy the analysis. Let me know what you're own thoughts are.

Awesome video.
    Amazing how gently he picked at the bait.
    I wonder if a little twitch for some movement would trigger a more aggressive bite or scare it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Awesome video.
    Amazing how gently he picked at the bait.
    I wonder if a little twitch for some movement would trigger a more aggressive bite or scare it off?

Yeah this was just a stationary tip up cause it was cold and the holes freeze over. On warmer days we use ones called Windlass and they actually jig the bait with the action of the wind on a fin above the water. Those do see to have more hits and catch bigger fish when the conditions are right! So you've assumed correctly, but nobody is manning that bait.