Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's Davey's Locker Thunderbird for 3/4 day @ local waters?

Default How's Davey's Locker Thunderbird for 3/4 day @ local waters?

Wife and I have not fished for 6 months and we've talked about doing something for quite a while though our schedule/life has been crazy busy.

Unexpectedly, this Friday opened up for us so we are thinking of going with Davey's Locker's 3/4 day trip on the Thunderbird. While it is advertised as 'Catalina', they are going to stay at local waters.

Any comments if this is worth the effort? I realize 'worth the effort' is subjective but would appreciate any comments here or PM.

Thanks!
    UL

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Wife and I have not fished for 6 months and we've talked about doing something for quite a while though our schedule/life has been crazy busy.

Unexpectedly, this Friday opened up for us so we are thinking of going with Davey's Locker's 3/4 day trip on the Thunderbird. While it is advertised as 'Catalina', they are going to stay at local waters.

Any comments if this is worth the effort? I realize 'worth the effort' is subjective but would appreciate any comments here or PM.

Thanks!
    UL
    Typically the Thunderbird does overnight trips and the occasional 3/4 charter to Catalina Island. Most of the 3/4 duty's at Davey's locker are conducted by the Freelance. (but anything is possible) So if the T-Bird did do a local 3/4 day trip there isn't any track record to judge her by.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Typically the Thunderbird does overnight trips and the occasional 3/4 charter to Catalina Island. Most of the 3/4 duty's at Davey's locker are conducted by the Freelance. (but anything is possible) So if the T-Bird did do a local 3/4 day trip there isn't any track record to judge her by.
    Thanks. It is the Thunderbird. Found out that the Davey's Locker had better reviews, about the same distance for us so going that direction on Friday instead on their 3/4 day.

Thanks for the comment.

Thanks. It is the Thunderbird. Found out that the Davey's Locker had better reviews, about the same distance for us so going that direction on Friday instead on their 3/4 day.

Thanks for the comment.
    Like any fishing trip in the Ocean it changes day by day. You do know your going 1 week before the Rockfish opener so those things are off limits to you. So your limited to only 4 major gamefish. Sculpin and Bass throw in an occasional Halibut and some perch but that's it. March 1 the Rockfish opener happens so you could still fish for the above fish part of the time and "then" for sure catch some tasty Rockfish to take home. It depends on your time, maybe Friday is a use it or lose it kind of day. But if it was me, I would wait 1 week then go because you will for sure have a lot more options in fishing.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Like any fishing trip in the Ocean it changes day by day. You do know your going 1 week before the Rockfish opener so those things are off limits to you. So your limited to only 4 major gamefish. Sculpin and Bass throw in an occasional Halibut and some perch but that's it. March 1 the Rockfish opener happens so you could still fish for the above fish part of the time and "then" for sure catch some tasty Rockfish to take home. It depends on your time, maybe Friday is a use it or lose it kind of day. But if it was me, I would wait 1 week then go because you will for sure have a lot more options in fishing.
    Thanks etucker. Appreciate the comments.

That's a tough one - Friday is basically a use it or loose it day. But that opener next Wed is very attractive - our goal is to come home with some fish for the freezer, especially as my wife particularly enjoys cooking up fish that she catches. For her, it completes the pleasure of fishing. Do you think next Wed will be substantially better, all things being equal, in terms of being able to keep fish? Are there a lot of rockfish that we are likely to throw back if we go this Fri?

THANKS again for your help - we are quite uneducated about these 3/4 day trips, having gone only on one in the past.

Thanks,
    UL

Go on opening day of rockfish season, black Perch, sculpin, sand dabs, maybe a sandbass as the jackpot fish any earlier. Rockfish have been closed for a couple of months. Better tasting and bigger grade of fish after the first. You can't keep them until then, so they won't be fishing those areas
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 02-21-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks etucker. Appreciate the comments.

That's a tough one - Friday is basically a use it or loose it day. But that opener next Wed is very attractive - our goal is to come home with some fish for the freezer, especially as my wife particularly enjoys cooking up fish that she catches. For her, it completes the pleasure of fishing. Do you think next Wed will be substantially better, all things being equal, in terms of being able to keep fish? Are there a lot of rockfish that we are likely to throw back if we go this Fri?

THANKS again for your help - we are quite uneducated about these 3/4 day trips, having gone only on one in the past.

Thanks,
    UL
    Ssortasober is right they won't even hit those Rockfish area's if you go this Friday. As I mentioned before the T-Bird doesn't really run local 3/4 day trips very often but the Western Pride and Patriot do and they both run out of Newport Beach Landings. So I do have a pretty good feel on what's available on a good day. If you go this Friday it's Sculpin and Bass for sure. The Sculpin fishing can be pretty good if they target some of their good Sculpin holes. The Bass fishing is up and down like a yo yo. If you have live squid or fresh dead for bait it can really help out a lot. If you go this Friday we can and should give you some good tackle tips.

If you wait till next week when the Rockfish opens up it should be pretty good. They may fish Rockfish all day insuring you will take home some very tasty fish. Or they might do a little bit of both kinds of fishing. If I was the Captain and the Rockfish were biting, I would fish them all day. You would have a chance at getting a few pretty nice ones since they haven't been fished for 2 months. It's your call but "Good Luck either way!!!!" Let's us know if you need any tackle tips for either one of the trips.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.

The rockfishing is probably the way to go as far as putting quality meat in the freezer, only other consideration depending on how you feel about it and your level of experience (patience?) is that the opener will probably be "elbow to elbow" full loads.

CRAPPY SALT H20 REPORTS !!

hv u seen reports this week? and yesterday??

seaforth san diego 24 angelers = 10 mackerel + 3 perch !!! wtffffff

and love it when lobsters on the crawl with 15 keepers and 125 released !!!

each person paying $75 + for nada .... better to wait it out for more steady weather

my deuce cents!!

THANKS Etucker1959, Ssortasober, Brewcrafter, Balleronbudget,

We are grateful for your help. Taking your suggestions serious, we are going next Wed for the Rockfish opener as you guys suggested.

And we'd love to get any tackle tips you may share for a successful trip.

Again, much much grateful. Plan to give a full report after the trip as to how it goes...
    Last edited by Ultralight; 02-22-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast