Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Davey's Locker Thunderbird for 3/4 day @ local waters?

Bring heavy weights, 6-12oz , bring quite a few.
    The boats going to be crowded, you want your bait to stay below you and not moving to the stern.You two will do just fine good luck

double dropper loop with lead head and plastic , add a strip of squid...

its not rocket science... the fish will bite whatever in front of them.

cleaning is $1/fish generally or clean at home urself ; use tin snips to avoid sculpin spikes , or let them clean if u dnt know how..

enjoy...
    Last edited by BALLERONBUDGET; 02-22-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    THANKS Etucker1959, Ssortasober, Brewcrafter, Balleronbudget,

We are grateful for your help. Taking your suggestions serious, we are going next Wed for the Rockfish opener as you guys suggested.

And we'd love to get any tackle tips you may share for a successful trip.

Again, much much grateful. Plan to give a full report after the trip as to how it goes...
    I thought you might ask for tips, so I'm going to give you the most necessary and the most affordable way to do it. Purchase at your local tackle shop the 2 hook shrimp fly ganions. You could probably get away with 4 for the both of you. (3 if money is tight) Worst case scenario your ganions get totally ruined in tangles. The Deckhand could quickly in between spots tie you up a 2 hook dropper loop set up. (your back in business) If money is really tight, just go that way in the beginning. As for weights, once again you are not a seasoned pro who has 5 of every weight and you don't need to buy 5 of every size. Ask the guy at the landing or even the captain what size weight he would recommend and then buy them there, so you don't break the bank on buying weights. If I had to buy one size it would be an 8 or 10 ounce weight. As for bait, the boat provides it. However, you might get a choice of squid or fin bait. Squid usually works better even on your shrimp fly's. However, I'm really old school. I cut my Rockfish teeth in the 1970's. Back then we would catch a 15 fish limit of almost all Salmon Groupers. (I know some people say they have worms etc) But I still like to catch them and I think they like fin bait better then squid. So if you see some caught and wouldn't mind trying them, put on some fin bait and you might catch them. I know I talk to much!!!!! lol If you're or your friend is not an old salt don't forget your sea sick pills!!!! That will totally ruin your day if your sea sick!!!!!

Good Luck though!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-22-2017 at 05:29 PM.

All solid advice from everyone. I'm pretty old school as well and a big believer in heavy mainline and heavy weight depending on your rig. It's the guys with light line and not enough lead that will wrap up the whole boat. And with heavier line, if and when you end up in a tangle it makes it easier to stand out (okay, I said I was old school I still like Dacron!) and while you probably already know this, do NOT try to increase weight by using multiple sinkers - all that will happen is they will spin all the way down and YOU will wrap the boat ☹️. Like the guys here have said, listen to the crew, have fun, and be sure to post a report! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    CRAPPY SALT H20 REPORTS !!

hv u seen reports this week? and yesterday??

seaforth san diego 24 angelers = 10 mackerel + 3 perch !!! wtffffff

and love it when lobsters on the crawl with 15 keepers and 125 released !!!

each person paying $75 + for nada .... better to wait it out for more steady weather

my deuce cents!!
    At least they are honest in the reporting then.....much better than inflated reports

Thanks everyone. One good turn deserves more questions....

What's been particularly helpful so far;
    1. I'll have to look up what '2 hook shrimp fly ganion' is.
    2. I had no idea not to use 2 weights. I figure I'll just stack as many 4 oz weights as I need - now I know not to do that. Probably purchase 8 oz weights then?
    3. I plan on using 40-50 lbs braids, and then connect to 20 lbs fluoro connected in such a way that it will break away around 12 lbs in case we get caught on rocks down there.
    4. Large spinning reel and rod. My casting reels are not salt water safe.

So, questions:

1. Should I use regular hooks or circle hooks? A friend took me to Mexico once and as a rookie, I was the only one with circle hooks and outfished the experienced people because my rig basically hooked the fish by itself. BUT then the the next trip in San Diego, I used circle and could not rip the fish up so they got tangled with rocks or something down there so I kept loosing fish except tiny little dinks. So I'm thinkin regular hook so that the moment I feel the fish, I can rip it up away from any objects down there. Is this sound strategy?

If so, what type of hooks?

2. Do we set the hook the moment we feel a tap or do we let the thing take it for a while?

3. Does scent help? Any suggestions as to scents to use if that is helpful?

4. How many rock fish can we keep? if we catch a small one, can we toss it back while waiting for a big one? Can we give it away to others on the boat if they don't catch any? Don't the rock fish die anyways? In Mexico their eyeball just bulged out and floated away if we released them. I think we were down about 300 ft. My friend said it was like fishing for bowling balls from the roof of a 30 story sky scraper...LOL.

Thanks again and as noted, plant to report back on how the boat does on opening day. Grateful for all the help so far.
    Last edited by Ultralight; 02-23-2017 at 10:34 AM.

I've seen people with yo yo irons with a little bit of squid on the end have more success than traditional dropper loop setups, but I'm sure its all situational. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thanks everyone. One good turn deserves more questions....

What's been particularly helpful so far;
    1. I'll have to look up what '2 hook shrimp fly ganion' is.
    2. I had no idea not to use 2 weights. I figure I'll just stack as many 4 oz weights as I need - now I know not to do that. Probably purchase 8 oz weights then?
    3. I plan on using 40-50 lbs braids, and then connect to 20 lbs fluoro connected in such a way that it will break away around 12 lbs in case we get caught on rocks down there.
    4. Large spinning reel and rod. My casting reels are not salt water safe.

So, questions:

1. Should I use regular hooks or circle hooks? A friend took me to Mexico once and as a rookie, I was the only one with circle hooks and outfished the experienced people because my rig basically hooked the fish by itself. BUT then the the next trip in San Diego, I used circle and could not rip the fish up so they got tangled with rocks or something down there so I kept loosing fish except tiny little dinks. So I'm thinkin regular hook so that the moment I feel the fish, I can rip it up away from any objects down there. Is this sound strategy?

If so, what type of hooks?

2. Do we set the hook the moment we feel a tap or do we let the thing take it for a while?

3. Does scent help? Any suggestions as to scents to use if that is helpful?

4. How many rock fish can we keep? if we catch a small one, can we toss it back while waiting for a big one? Can we give it away to others on the boat if they don't catch any? Don't the rock fish die anyways? In Mexico their eyeball just bulged out and floated away if we released them. I think we were down about 300 ft. My friend said it was like fishing for bowling balls from the roof of a 30 story sky scraper...LOL.

Thanks again and as noted, plant to report back on how the boat does on opening day. Grateful for all the help so far.
    I don't know how flexible your schedule is, sometimes waiting a day or two to let things sort themselves out is prudent. For example if you go opening day you and the captain are just guessing at what depth the best fishing will be at. It could be at 180 feet or 300 feet. Once they know what and where the best fishing is, it's easier to prepare your tackle. If their fishing 300 feet, a spinning reel would be kinda tough to use. Maybe the current is ripping and you need 16 ounces of lead to fish correctly. I hope you see where I'm going with this???? The weather is another "very" important matter. Maybe Wed they are going to have wind blowing at 20 knots but Friday it's is only going to be blowing at 10 knots. As I'm writing this the wind is blowing pretty hard at my place, but tomorrow we are going fishing at Lake Wolhford and it's only suppose to be blowing only 6 mph which is very nice. I know, I just threw more questions and not answers so I'll shut up now!!! lol

You don't need scent.

Hook sizes need only be as simple as maybe a 2/0 size J hook.

Weights depend on depths and current. Ask the landing or the Skipper.

You might be able to give small fish away but no sense in throwing them back. (they will die)

The Rockfish limit is 10, but whitefish and a few others don't count against your Rockfish limit. Maximum limit is 20 total fish.

A lot of the time the Rockfish hook themselves, but setting the hook when the pole is really rattling is kinda fun.

I'll let others chime in on some other good tips.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-23-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks etucker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12