Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVL, sorry I've been cheating on you (2/16/17)

Default DVL, sorry I've been cheating on you (2/16/17)

Haven't been to DVL since last summer, it was a great season considering the fluctuating water level, funky water clarity, and the reintroduction to private boaters. Gotta be honest I spent much of this past fall and early winter fishing San Vicente the great sheer numbers of bass caught was short lived, but the quality was awesome. Nice lake for sure, almost like a DVL on steroids regarding the cover in the lake. However I found it almost comical setting the hook on jig fish in 80ft of water or dropshotting with really heavy weight and line. I started to miss the simplicity and the pure peacefulness of being on the water at DVL. Decided to reunite with her yesterday and boy did it feel good to be back.

I had absolutely no prior intel on the lake or the conditions other than the water being up. I had a free rental and was wanting to get a deluxe but it turned out the last one available had trolling motor issues, so I saved my free pass and bought a basic. I asked what the water temp was in the marina and was told it is around 59 degrees. The lake looked great, the water level is as high as it's been in a very long time. For those who took pictures of the lay of the land around the lake while the water was down it will definitely come in handy this season. When DVL is near full pool at first glance much of the lake almost looks featureless, but that's certainly not the case.

Started out heading west and stopped in my tracks when I saw something boil off a main lake point. Second cast hooked a nice fat and healthy bass with a full belly, couldn't tell if it was eggs or just good eatings but I'd probably go with the latter. Caught another smaller one shortly after in the same spot, both in 15ft in submerged brush. Made it to the west dam but saw no activity. Caught a couple near the I/O Tower, and also saw some huge boils inside the buoy lines. Went through a lull late morning and threw the kitchen sink at them for nada. You name it I threw it worms, creatures, fb jigs, swim jigs, underspins, jerkbaits, hudds, glidebaits. Slowed it back down with a weightless senko and caught 2 more near the marina. I wanted one more before I left and got short bit on 3 consecutive casts. Finally on the 4th attempt I let her eat it and turned out to be a nice smallie, awesome way to end the day.

Ended the day with 7. All fish were caught on senkos in 20ft or less around submerged brush, using 8lb fluoro. Water clarity is still fairly poor with a lot of debris in the water. Didn't visually see any fish or forage, but water clarity and wind made it tough to see well. No signs of bedding fish from the ones caught. I'm sure the storm this weekend along with the strong winds will stir things up, but the lake is looking really promising for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like the lakes doing well with the influx of water,with more to come,cool pics also,thanks!

Cy Tuna Vic

I fished a club tournament at DVL last Saturday, (2/11/17), and knew it was going to be tuff. I talked to Matt at Last Chance and several buddies who had pre-fished it and they all said it was really tuff. I fished in 20-30 foot of water for nada. My partner picked up two keepers and one nice smallie.

At the weigh in I was surprised to hear the fish were starting to go on the beds! It was hard to see them due to the intermittent rain; but several guys figured them out. Winning weight was 21 lbs - 12 oz., 2nd place: 18 lbs - 5 oz., 3rd place: 16 lbs. - 1 oz., Big Fish weighed 7 lbs - 14 oz., Team Weight: 34 lbs - 6 oz.

Man your collection of set-ups are NICE!!!!! WTG, on the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Sounds like the lakes doing well with the influx of water,with more to come,cool pics also,thanks!

Cy Tuna Vic
    Thanks Vic, the lake is looking awesome right now. Tons of flooded brush mixed with good rock along the shore, I think the bass will really enjoy their new hideouts. Hoping it makes for a very successful spawn this season!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    I fished a club tournament at DVL last Saturday, (2/11/17), and knew it was going to be tuff. I talked to Matt at Last Chance and several buddies who had pre-fished it and they all said it was really tuff. I fished in 20-30 foot of water for nada. My partner picked up two keepers and one nice smallie.

At the weigh in I was surprised to hear the fish were starting to go on the beds! It was hard to see them due to the intermittent rain; but several guys figured them out. Winning weight was 21 lbs - 12 oz., 2nd place: 18 lbs - 5 oz., 3rd place: 16 lbs. - 1 oz., Big Fish weighed 7 lbs - 14 oz., Team Weight: 34 lbs - 6 oz.
    Thank you for the info on your tourney results, sorry to hear that the bite was tough out there. Mother Nature sure has let her voice be heard this winter. Almost forgot what a more traditional winter felt like down here! Hope you rope em next time man. Much of my day was spent covering water and trying to regain my bearings with the new water level. I honestly couldn't get anything to go with anything other than the senko, but that's just how it goes sometimes. I'm hoping things pick up after this storm, don't mind the rain but the heavy winds can put a damper on things sometimes.

That's sweet to hear some bass are already bedding. I certainly wouldn't doubt it with some of the stretches of warm weather we've had. I'm intrigued to know how successful last seasons' spawn was with the fluctuating water level during spring time. Curious to know what affect that might of had. Out of curiosity do you know if that 7-14 was a bed fish? Good to know there's some big girls around, can't wait to get back out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Man your collection of set-ups are NICE!!!!! WTG, on the bass.
    Thanks man I appreciate it. It's my poor excuse of a hobby lol

OG good to see you out again! I had taken a break as well since late fall. Still on them I see. Good to hear. You do any cranking.....your fav?

Like you said, I am glad I took all the pics I did with the water at historical lows. Take it easy man!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    OG good to see you out again! I had taken a break as well since late fall. Still on them I see. Good to hear. You do any cranking.....your fav?

Like you said, I am glad I took all the pics I did with the water at historical lows. Take it easy man!
    Hey Zeke, hope all is well! Unfortunately I opted to leave my box of cranks at home and bring some larger swimbaits instead. However from what I saw on the North side of the lake it might prove tough to crank in a lot of areas with all the flooded brush. But I'll definitely be throwing them post spawn on the dams and in the rock quarry.

And very wise of you to take pictures! It was a great opportunity to do so, and hopefully for our sake the last opportunity. Seeing great structure high and dry was definitely a sight for sore eyes. I'm pretty excited to see what this season has in store, hope you're able to get back out there soon man.

Quote Originally Posted by OG MUDBONE View Post
    Thank you for the info on your tourney results, sorry to hear that the bite was tough out there. Mother Nature sure has let her voice be heard this winter. Almost forgot what a more traditional winter felt like down here! Hope you rope em next time man. Much of my day was spent covering water and trying to regain my bearings with the new water level. I honestly couldn't get anything to go with anything other than the senko, but that's just how it goes sometimes. I'm hoping things pick up after this storm, don't mind the rain but the heavy winds can put a damper on things sometimes.

That's sweet to hear some bass are already bedding. I certainly wouldn't doubt it with some of the stretches of warm weather we've had. I'm intrigued to know how successful last seasons' spawn was with the fluctuating water level during spring time. Curious to know what affect that might of had. Out of curiosity do you know if that 7-14 was a bed fish? Good to know there's some big girls around, can't wait to get back out!
    OG MUDBONE,

Yes, the 7-14 was a bed fish caught at the southernly end of Rawson. The guys co-anglers tried to get the female; but got the male. Then his partner threw a weightless Trick Worm, which the female ate. There was another Tournament at DVL yesterday, (Sunday), and I imagine the bed fish have been worked over pretty heavily!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast