Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad fishing report

Default Bad fishing report

This is the longest I've gone into the new year without fishing for a while...but finally made it for my first day. I wasn't expecting much...I usually fish for stripers, and winter is usually tough for me. The lake is near full, and there's some floating debris around, but it's not too bad. It's great to see the hills all green again.
    I started out driving around checking the meter...stripers were around 80 feet deep all over the place. A few years ago, that would have meant anchor up and start cutting sardines, but that hasn't worked for me for a couple years now so I never got around to doing that, even though I had some frozen sardines. I tried jigging a spoon in some of them to no avail.
    I finally decided to head into a cove...I picked Necktie, and see if the bass wanted to play. I found a few willing customers on secondary points that wanted to eat a nightcrawler. The biggest one I landed was maybe 14 inches...I hooked a nicer model, but it went straight into a snag. I gave it a minute or so to try to find its way out, but after about half that time the line stopped moving, and I was just stuck on the snag. With 4 lb. line, the bush won that one.
    It was a beautiful morning before the next storm blows in...nice to get out.

Beats any day at work haha been wanting to get out and try for some spoon eating stripes but haven't heard much of it not much from the trout eaters either :/

Quote Originally Posted by Stirpers98 View Post
    Beats any day at work haha been wanting to get out and try for some spoon eating stripes but haven't heard much of it not much from the trout eaters either :/
    I should probably invest in a quality trout swimbait for this time of year, but throwing that heavy thing all day doesn't look like fun...good day nonetheless.

4. Default

I have the smallest Huddleston I could find and I toss it in coves I could hike to it I catch a lot of lmb but I was just recently in my favorite cove and lost it in a fish I got slammed and I was only using 15lb test an I saw it and then it snapped and I threw s big fit it and people probably heard me for miles ��

Quote Originally Posted by Catch n release wild fish View Post
    I have the smallest Huddleston I could find and I toss it in coves I could hike to it I catch a lot of lmb but I was just recently in my favorite cove and lost it in a fish I got slammed and I was only using 15lb test an I saw it and then it snapped and I threw s big fit it and people probably heard me for miles ��
    Losing a nice fish and a nice lure at the same time is a good reason to scream! 15 lb. line isn't exactly light line and should work, but since you're fishing from shore, you can't loosen the drag and chase them into deep water...tough break. For a lake that gets the fishing pressure it does, there's still lots of big fish in there.

Keep in mind there's a lot of food in the water from the recent rain/runoff... I've had decent results throwing the Castaic Soft Bait and the AC 9" in trout pattern. Persistence pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Keep in mind there's a lot of food in the water from the recent rain/runoff... I've had decent results throwing the Castaic Soft Bait and the AC 9" in trout pattern. Persistence pays off.
    Yeah, there's also shad on the meter almost anywhere you go in the lake, and it's been that way for a while. I'm guessing that's why they're not too interested in frozen sardine chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Yeah, there's also shad on the meter almost anywhere you go in the lake, and it's been that way for a while. I'm guessing that's why they're not too interested in frozen sardine chunks.
    Have you tried cut Anchovy right off the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Have you tried cut Anchovy right off the bottom?
    Good question...no, just sardine and nightcrawlers, no anchovy in the last year or so...I'll give it a shot...maybe some chicken liver or bloodworms as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Good question...no, just sardine and nightcrawlers, no anchovy in the last year or so...I'll give it a shot...maybe some chicken liver or bloodworms as well...
    Bloodworms for sure. I've caught some nice Stripers in both Castaic and Pyramid on cut Anchovy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast