Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Night Queen

Default Night Queen

I was home from work, but feeling pissed off by some bullshit that went down earlier in the day, and I decided that I needed to clear my head, so I grabbed my favorite rod and reel and one 1/4 oz, three inch, "motor oil red" Big Hammer and hopped in the car.

I live not too far from Shoreline Village in Long Beach so I decided to hit one of the piers across the channel from the Queen Mary. There are several relatively small T shaped piers that are usually full of bait-and-wait fishermen, but I found a metered parking space near one that was empty and grabbed a beach chair out of the trunk and had the place to myself. Started fishing about 7:00 pm and on my first two times around the pier, I got no action at all.

This place is a fairly narrow channel and unless it is dead high or dead low tide, the water is moving and the fish are moving with it, so I sat down for a while and let my bait just hang a couple of feet off the bottom while I looked at the lights, paid my respects to Orion and Venus, and reminded myself to quit bitching and be thankful for the life I have.

Just about then, I get a couple of tappy-taps on my bait that was just hanging in the water and I'm back on my feet. So I work the perimeter of the pier, bouncing the swim bait off the bottom and get one solid bite but that was it, so I went back to casting out and working the bait back in along the bottom. This time around I got a couple of good hits and one ten second hookup. Just as I was ready to take another break, I caught a bass shaped thing that flipped off as soon he cleared the water on the way up to me.

I took a little break and went back to the car for a bottle of water, and then started doing the circuit of the T pier end and on the second cast, I got some tappy little hits on the drop and then wham, and it was fish on. Landed a decent mackerel and got another one just like a couple of casts later.

Then just as quickly as they came, they were gone, and I fished another half hour without a bite and so a little after 9:00 pm, I decided my head was clear and it was time to go home.

Good fun for a spur of the moment trip with one lure!

Gotta love fishing... best bullshit remedy ever.

Nothing like relaxing and throwing the line into the water and living near the ocean and enjoying life... Tight lines..