Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: my boat is leaking water any advice what to check.

Default my boat is leaking water any advice what to check.

I have a inboard out board motor mercury motor with a mercruiser alpha one out drive. so far I checked the bellows look like there new I drop and picked up motor to check bellows the look good checked the clamps around bellows they where tight I also checked the shift cable below it looked good the clamp was broke on it I replaced it with a other clamp but still leaked water.put the plug in and filled the inside of the boat with water just below the starter I did not see any water leaking out I also checked the water lines in the boat they look good I removed the motor cover at the lake I could not see where the water was getting in any advice
    Last edited by fish player; 02-07-2017 at 07:36 PM.

The leak is probably above the starter level. Disconnect the battery, remove the starter, fill the boat with water again and re-check.

Any scuppers on your rig,the ones designed to let water out when water gets in boat in rough seas,on my Wellcraft there on the sides of the boat,inside the boat there's an outlet hole in each corner of the stern,the water runs in those holes goes under deck thru a hose and out the side of hull.
    If those hoses are leaking or wore out and leak you'll never see it coming in.
    Mine are a pain to replace,hope this might help.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    The leak is probably above the starter level. Disconnect the battery, remove the starter, fill the boat with water again and re-check.
    thank you for the advice.

thank you for the advice.

So let me understand your boat is taking in water?? If that is the case I had a similar problem. With a used boat I purchased. I could not find the sorce of the leak. A good friend told me to let it will with water. Keep the plug installed. Pull the boat out of the water onto the trailer. BUT keep the boat on the ramp. Wipe down the out side out the boat and check for ant water leaking out. The inner transom bracket was cracked on my boat. The drive unit was not fully sealed against the transom. Letting water in. I had to pull the engine just to get to it. And found the damage. The opening for the drive was rotten. But I was able to repair it myself works great now. Keep in mind this is an easy $3-5k repair I did it myself.