Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First legal of 2017 and a new PB

Default First legal of 2017 and a new PB

So I'm pretty new to this website. I joined a while back but never really posted anything and pretty much forgot about the website. Figured it was time I posted a report. Had some free time on Saturday so I checked the tides and swell. The swell was up so decided to give one of the local lagoons a shot. I havent been able to fish for the last four months due to a broken wrist and surgery so this last week ive been fishing every chance i get. Tried out a new spot and it worked out pretty well.
    Started out around around 2pm and decided to use my LC since I've never really used it. Was always too afraid to lose it and they're expensive for a broke college kid like me haha. But I was determined to get a fish on it and on my third cast i got a decent 14 inch halibut. So five minutes in and finally got my first fish on the LC. I'm pretty stoked and as far as I'm concerned if I didn't catch another fish the day was a success. Kept fishing and an hour later I get hit real hard and after a short fight I drag another halibut into the sand. Tapes out to 18 inches. By this point im beyond stoked. 2 halibut in less than 2 hours. I've only caught 2 before so this is a good day for me. Another guy fishing next to me is absolutely destroying the spotties and sand bass on swimbaits so I switch it up to try get a little more action. After 30 minutes of nada I switch back to the LC. Fished hard for another 2 hours without any bites. As I'm getting ready to leave I decide to make one more cast. Best decision I made all day. As I'm reeling I'm watching the LC and as it gets about three feet away from me I watch a halibut chase it and absolutely choke the lure. I knew it was a good fish so the pressure was on. He made two short runs and I was able to get the fish within reach and grab the tail and run it up to the dry sand. As I was looking at it I knew it had to be legal and sure enough it taped out to 23 inches. My new PB. Normally I would have preferred to release the fish but my mom has been bugging me to get her a halibut. So I decided to keep it and went home a happy man. 3 halibut in one day and now I have a new confidence bait. Great day on the water. Still stoked just thinking about it. I live in North SD county so if anyone ever wants to go fish just hit me up. Always looking for a new fishing buddy and someone to show me the ropes. I havent caught a fish out the surf yet.
    Thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170204_201236_501.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	49571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-473870607.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	49572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-1240075547.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	49573  

Nice fish and a great report. Thanks!

Great report and pics! Thanks

Congrat's on your new PB!

LC 110's are also my go to confidence lures.
    I've landed many PB's on the sand using the LC's in the suds.

I'm up in San Pedro, I'll hit the surf with ya, give me a PM shout.

Thanx for (finally! lol) the fish report with pic's.

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 02-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Good report,good catch,great eats!

Cya Tuna Vic

So stoked for you Billy. Your decision to hit the calmer waters of the bay sure paid off for you. Welcome to the LC addiction young man. There is a lot of territory for you to explore down south when the spring finally gets here. Some suggestions..... Carlsbad, San Onofre.....Just to name a few. Just look for signs of bait and structure .... Im sure we will be hearing more from you on your surf adventures. Im sure your mom was all smiles and that is worth a lot.
    Thanks for sharing....

Tight lines,

Mike

Thanks for the kind words guys! Sorry for the late reply