Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Mathews Riverside.

Lake Mathew:
    Max. length 4 mi (6.4 km)
    Max. width 2 mi (3.2 km)
    Average depth Approx. 150 ft (46 m)
    Water volume 182,000 acre feet (224 hm3)
    Shore length1 Approx. 14 mi (23 km)
    Surface elevation 1,391 ft (424 m)

Diamond Valley:
    Max. length 4.5 mi (7.2 km)
    Max. width 2 mi (3 km)
    Surface area 4,500 acres (1,800 ha)
    Max. depth 260 ft (79 m)

You have to know somebody in the water district and Fish and Game department to fish in there.
    have friends that live across the street from the lake and they said STRIPER every cast....
    Last edited by fishchum; 02-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.

You're killing me Larry. How can this be a no contact fishery?
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 02-10-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Do you know if any tax dollars were used to create and maintain the lake?

Because if so, then anglers have an argument.

If private money was used? Then not so much of an argument.
    To answer your question, in 1931 a $220 million bond was approved to fund construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct (of which Lake Mathews is the terminus).

That's over $3.4 billion in current dollars.

I was unable to find any information on the interest paid to bond-holders. However, taxpayers have footed 90% of the cost of the aqueduct.

I say open it MWD; but they don't answer to anyone....as they say he who controls the water has all of the gold!

Met is never going to open it. Heck they really didnt want to open DVL. As for fishing. Every few years a select few get to fish it for a weekend to get rid of some of the striper that are like carp in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynn View Post
    Met is never going to open it. Heck they really didnt want to open DVL. As for fishing. Every few years a select few get to fish it for a weekend to get rid of some of the striper that are like carp in there.
    how do i get on the list? hahahahahaaa

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    you may recall a few years back a newly elected official attempted to make a name for themselves by getting Lake Mathews opened to the public and found the environmental/mitigation agreements that include the lake and surrounding conservation area were essentially bulletproof. The lake will unfortunately remain as it is now regarding access for the public.

I really don't understand how a body of water like Matthews, paid for with public funds, ends up locked away. Not very public. Of course, not the only spot like that in our vicinity. *Sigh*.

Typical to create an artificial lake, flood the area, then call it an ecological reserve and prohibit entrance. Sounds very 'natural' to me.

What does Matthews have that makes it so different from so many other bodies of water in the area that are also on the aqueduct line, supply water to the thirsty denizens of SoCal, and are actually open for body/water/fishing contact?

Look at all that shoreline. Just begging to be fished.

To be clear, I'm not trying to point a finger at you, Kwin, I'm just befuddled by the decisions made by these various water departments. Public/notpublic/but certainly paid for by public funds and control vast swathes of 'public' land.
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 02-17-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12