Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost my P.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin4runner View Post
    If your bending hooks your drag is to tight, LOOSEN IT UP alittle. With the big ones you need to let'em run and don't get so excited that you start jerking'um. Cause if you do, they will school you everytime
    Ditto on this ^^^ As soon as I can tell I'm hooked up on a good sized one, I back off the drag...learned that the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin4runner View Post
    Sounds like your learning the in's and out's of big striper fishing. If your bending hooks your drag is to tight, LOOSEN IT UP alittle. With the big ones you need to let'em run and don't get so excited that you start jerking'um. Cause if you do, they will school you everytime..Keep putting in time and it will payoff...Nice reports....And as far as hooks go, owner ST_36BC size 1/0 and 2/0 are the only hooks on my swims. Haven't bent one yet............
    Thanks appreciate the feedback definitely learned alot with that fish !

3. Default

I caught my pb large mouth bass in a striper boil close the the main life guard tower really wierd day

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Ditto on this ^^^ As soon as I can tell I'm hooked up on a good sized one, I back off the drag...learned that the hard way.
    Wish I would have known this sooner. I hooked onto what felt like a huge trout at SARL. I only had 2 pound test and it was really fighting. I was trying to reel him in faster as I feared he would rip past the small test line. He started to flip around in the water or something and eventually got off the hook. Initially, I was angry thinking the line broke, but as I reeled in, my rig was intact. I either didn't have the hook set right or the hook bent out of place.

I didn't have the drag loose so it could have bent my hook.

Quote Originally Posted by briseno09 View Post
    Wish I would have known this sooner. I hooked onto what felt like a huge trout at SARL. I only had 2 pound test and it was really fighting. I was trying to reel him in faster as I feared he would rip past the small test line. He started to flip around in the water or something and eventually got off the hook. Initially, I was angry thinking the line broke, but as I reeled in, my rig was intact. I either didn't have the hook set right or the hook bent out of place.

I didn't have the drag loose so it could have bent my hook.
    Was the hook straightened out? If not, it probably just came unhooked...that happens, especially with light line and a loose drag. When you're hooked up on a big fish with light line, the choice is either have a loose drag and risk coming unhooked, or tight drag and risk breaking the line or straightening the hook. I'll take the former.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12