Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little update...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A little update...

Talked to somebody who I feel has a pretty good idea about what is going on with the lake and the new management. First, the rumor about the people who run Santa Ana Lakes taking over is just that... a rumor. Apparently the County is going to start interviewing for the operation of the lake, in the next six months or so is what I was told. Sounds to me that we won't see the lake open to the public until 2018? On a brighter note, the water level is WAY up!!! I am not sure if it is from the recent rain or they are letting water into the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by boomstikit View Post
    On a brighter note, the water level is WAY up!!! I am not sure if it is from the recent rain or they are letting water into the lake.
    It's from the recent rains. I drive by it 5 days a week to get to and from work. I've seen it gradually go up which each passing storm. It was the one on 1/22 that really added a ton of water! Once all the creeks finished emptying, it looks more like the old Irvine lake.

Hopefully the County chooses a good operator.

It would be cool if the county or city ran it like SD/Escondido do with Dixon. reasonable prices and good stocks. I probably won't fish it if it costs $25 a head just to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    It would be cool if the county or city ran it like SD/Escondido do with Dixon. reasonable prices and good stocks. I probably won't fish it if it costs $25 a head just to get in.
    I was thinking the same thing. Of course with the higher fees you get more fish but maybe that will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    i was thinking the same thing. Of course with the higher fees you get more fish but maybe that will work out.
    wouldn't expect to be ran any different then any other public lake, with a few stocked by dfg in the amounts you see a diamond valley puddingstone etc,,going take license, it won't be a pay lake per say with tons of fish added every week or anything that's not raised by dfg, lots of little trout and cats, be lucky to see anything put in bigger than a pound ,,, of course the instead of the lake patrol going to be patrolled by the sheriff dept. And dfg hopefully that will keep all the drunk a$$es off the lake

So you all know the show In Fisherman, they rated Irvine one of the best blue cat fisheries in the nation.
    That alone would be worth dropping some coin on it for proper management by a food bio and team.

I have had some of my best top water bass fishing days there in my life. It was August, muggy and overcast. The LMB were eating the full size Zara Spook with reckless abandoned. 2-3 blowups per retrieve. They were waking while chasing the damn thing. Epic. Also can beat the frog in the fall in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    So you all know the show In Fisherman, they rated Irvine one of the best blue cat fisheries in the nation.
    That alone would be worth dropping some coin on it for proper management by a food bio and team.

I have had some of my best top water bass fishing days there in my life. It was August, muggy and overcast. The LMB were eating the full size Zara Spook with reckless abandoned. 2-3 blowups per retrieve. They were waking while chasing the damn thing. Epic. Also can beat the frog in the fall in the sticks.
    Irvine lake is the Best "Feed lot" for Blue catfish. Which means if you stock regularly 10-15 pounders they will continue to grow to 90 lbs. But you always have to keep stocking those 10-15 pounders or your big fish will eventually die off in about 15-20 years. So if the county takes over and doesn't stock those fish, you've got about another 15 years after they re-open it to catch a trophy Blue catfish. (after that Irvine won't be any thing special in the way of a trophy Blue cat fishery!!!!) Yea I've been keeping track for 50 years!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Irvine lake is the Best "Feed lot" for Blue catfish. Which means if you stock regularly 10-15 pounders they will continue to grow to 90 lbs. But you always have to keep stocking those 10-15 pounders or your big fish will eventually die off in about 15-20 years. So if the county takes over and doesn't stock those fish, you've got about another 15 years after they re-open it to catch a trophy Blue catfish. (after that Irvine won't be any thing special in the way of a trophy Blue cat fishery!!!!) Yea I've been keeping track for 50 years!!!!!
    Those triple digit cats gotta be lurking in San V, anybody targeting them yet?

Figured this would have been posted.... but here's the latest on Irvine Line.... great article with lots of factual background information!

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/02...-fishing-spot/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast