Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little update...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    Plump up the bass? That's the first time I have heard of cormorants referred to as "bass" ��
    There's plenty of largies in Irvine that will slurp up those candy bars...and now they're so small, we can call them "fun size"!

This is really good news that there's even talk of a new operator taking over. If it's another year or two, who cares, as long as we can get back onto that water with private boats I'd be thrilled, and I wouldn't be the only person either.

Just looked at the lake Saturday and the water is up and going into Woody's Cove now.
    It'll be full before long.....Boy did it look like it's holding some hungry, lonely bass.

wow.! its been awhile since waters been that high... man i miss this place...

Default Miss the heck out of this place

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncider View Post
    wow.! its been awhile since waters been that high... man i miss this place...
    What made it special for me was the ability to night fish for the Kitties. Nothing like being out on the boat with Friends and family on a warm summer night having a blast. Sometimes we caught a few, sometimes we caught a ton, but there was nothing like it around us in so cal. I REALLY miss the summer kitty fishing. Talk about it almost every week with the buddies and the wife.

I gotta admit, I do miss that night fishing. There are some big boys in that lake.

I am not in CA anymore, but I sure hope you guys get the lake back. It sounds promising now.

If they allow for public input at all I would stress for special management of the largemouth. I am not sure what that would be as I am not a fish biologist, but with the old management requiring catch and release it sure made it a fun bass lake. Catch and release only may not be entirely feasible as a public lake, but I am sure there are some slot limit or size options.

Have fun guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG950252.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	49650  
    Last edited by chompot; 03-04-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    1lbers??? more like 1/2lbers or even 1/4lbers by dfg hahah.

That's the size that the OC parks been getting. bunch of 4-8 inchers hahah an 11 incher in an OC park now is a whopper =0)
    Yeah, the bass guys love them because they will plump up the bass in the lakes.
    Lol 1lb would be on the smaller side at LNL although they have put in a mix of trout including some dinks but that's not the normal fish. They've put in numerous 4-6lb trout and even a couple I've seen look to be pushing 10lb.

What does being a public lake have to do with catch and release for bass? Who keeps largemouth? I know many bass fisherman, and none of us keep any bass. If you get a big one, take a picture and let it go. They don't stock bass like trout, so if you keep them, you'll just deplete the fishery for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshibata1 View Post
    What does being a public lake have to do with catch and release for bass? Who keeps largemouth? I know many bass fisherman, and none of us keep any bass. If you get a big one, take a picture and let it go. They don't stock bass like trout, so if you keep them, you'll just deplete the fishery for the future.
    Ok reality check. (no disrespect) If Irvine lake was run as a Regional Park with no fees to fish except parking. It could attract a very unsophisticated group of fishermen. The kind who expect to bring home dinner!!!!! It doesn't really matter what kind of fish that might be. Of course you would hope it would be a put and take fish like a trout or catfish or even a few bluegill. But if the only thing that ate their night crawler was a LMB, it could very easily end up on a stringer. Not everyone who fishes has a subscription to Bass master magazine!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.

I'll second what etucker said. There are a lot of bucket brigade people who think fishing for the "sport" of it is for spoiled rich people and taking home as many pounds of fish as possible is the only sensible thing to do. You're paying money to get into this fish market and you're going to leave empty handed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast