Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Dixon 1/26/17

Default Lake Dixon 1/26/17

So it was between Poway, Dixon and Wohlford. I haven't bought my state license yet this year so I opted to go to Dixon. Left home with my brother in law at 3:30 am and in line by 5. Rented a boat and headed out to Whisker Bay. I saw a pretty big crappie being caught first thing in the morning but that was it. Threw jigs for about an hour and a half before we moved over to trout cove. Parked up at trout cove for about 3 hours throwing jigs and kastmasters for nada. I saw one fish being caught in those 3 hours.

At about 11:30 we started heading back to Whisker Bay but stopped in every little cove along the way throwing jigs and lures. We debated if we wanted to stay and see if there was an afternoon bite or take the long trip back to Brea. We decided to park up by the buoy line for a bit and I'm glad we did. From 1 to 3, i ended up catching my limit. Farmed 4 due to spit hooks and one that decided to run right at my stringer tied to the boat and snapped the line. Smallest was 2.6 pounds, biggest at 3.9

I caught them ALL on micetails. First one on pink, the next 2 on chartreuse and the last 2 on white tail pink head. My brother in law was determined to only use lures but he ended up getting the skunk. I sold out and ditched the jigs/lures at 12:30 and switched to my good old trusty mice tails rigged on a carolina rig. Also, it seemed like a longer leader (about 3-4 feet) was getting the most action.

I saw one dude from a boat get like 4 trout on 4 consecutive casts with a jig but it just wasn't happening for me. It was dead all across the lake all morning from what it seemed like but the afternoon bite was on.

Good luck out there.

Oh, I almost forgot....I only targeted and caught
    "holdovers". Just sayin'.
    Last edited by gokuguy; 01-27-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    So it was between Poway, Dixon and Wohlford. I haven't bought my state license yet this year so I opted to go to Dixon. Left home with my brother in law at 3:30 am and in line by 5. Rented a boat and headed out to Whisker Bay. I saw a pretty big crappie being caught first thing in the morning but that was it. Threw jigs for about an hour and a half before we moved over to trout cove. Parked up at trout cove for about 3 hours throwing jigs and kastmasters for nada. I saw one fish being caught in those 3 hours.

At about 11:30 we started heading back to Whisker Bay but stopped in every little cove along the way throwing jigs and lures. We debated if we wanted to stay and see if there was an afternoon bite or take the long trip back to Brea. We decided to park up by the buoy line for a bit and I'm glad we did. From 1 to 3, i ended up catching my limit. Farmed 4 due to spit hooks and one that decided to run right at my stringer tied to the boat and snapped the line. Smallest was 2.6 pounds, biggest at 3.9

I caught them ALL on micetails. First one on pink, the next 2 on chartreuse and the last 2 on white tail pink head. My brother in law was determined to only use lures but he ended up getting the skunk. I sold out and ditched the jigs/lures at 12:30 and switched to my good old trusty mice tails rigged on a carolina rig. Also, it seemed like a longer leader (about 3-4 feet) was getting the most action.

I saw one dude from a boat get like 4 trout on 4 consecutive casts with a jig but it just wasn't happening for me. It was dead all across the lake all morning from what it seemed like but the afternoon bite was on.

Good luck out there.

Oh, I almost forgot....I only targeted and caught
    "holdovers". Just sayin'.
    Great report!!!! We should have been there with you on that day. As some people know we fished Lake Wohlford that same day in a mud hole. I knew as soon as I looked at the water at the boat docks we were in trouble for fishing at Wohlford that day. But Glenn and company had already rented a boat so we were "pot committed" to Wohlford for that day. Glenn call's me up at 5:00 pm that day and tells me how clean Lake Dixon water was that day and we should have fished there. Glenn is a great guy but I should have gave him that old Adam Sandler line. That information would have been real "useful" to us 10 hours ago at Lake Wohlford!!!!!!!!

I've got a question for you, on which part of the buoy line did you fish??? Right left or middle approximately? As you could probably guess, Dixon will for now on be the back up plan if Wohlford doesn't look right. For those who don't know, their almost right next to each other and our stocked at the same time.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-28-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Great report

I have fished these lakes this year with good success.
    Lake Poway should have great fishing Sat Feb 4th. They
    are closed all week and stocking Nebraska Tailwalkers heavily.
    Then reopen Sat for a tournament, too bad there will be a thousand people there.

A question I have is I have been having my son or wife
    go with me fishing. But now they both don't want to go anymore.
    How hard will it be fishing from a boat, reeling in a 4 lb tailwalker
    and trying to net it by yourself on really light line?

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    Great report

Then reopen Sat for a tournament, too bad there will be a thousand people there.

No problem just use a longer rod or tire them out a little more. When we go fishing at Lake Wohlford, 80% of the time we net our own fish while fishing from a boat. The net we are using isn't a very big net either. The only other thing I would recommend is having good fresh #4 on your reels.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-28-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Great report

I actually prefer to net my own fish from a boat. I find it easier.

And tuck, we were more towards the left of the line. I was chucking the mice tails as far as I could and it would drift right under the boat which is where I got the majority of the strikes.

Great report

If you ever wanted to join our little group of fishermen you're totally welcome. Provided of course you have a mustache and can carry a tune. (preferable something like Gordon Lightfoot) I'm just kidding of course!!!!! Most of my buddy's want to fish on the week days so my weekends are wide open. Hit me up if your interested.

I got 2 on plastics on Saturday right around sunset. 3" zoom paddletail fluke. No joke.