Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sugestions for a fiping/pitching rod?

Default Sugestions for a fiping/pitching rod?

With rain moving in for days in a row I thought I'd head to Bass Pro Shop for some fly tying supplies. While I'm there I thought I'd pick up a rod for working deep into the Skinner tulies when the striper bite sucks (like now). I won't be using it often so I don't need a high end rod. Just some brand name that I can find off the rack. I figure around 7 foot heavy ought to do it. I have all manner of 7 to 7' 11" medium heavy setups with varying action tips. I just need a shorter rod for 60 pound braid for better close combat control. So for around $100 to $125 what can I get? I'll be going Thursday so time is short. Thanks guys!

For the heavy braid I recommend a composite rod, 7ft with a thick handle and fast tapper. I use a shimano compre flipping rod but I don't fish that heavy of line on it. something built like an ugly stick but a bit more refined would be better suited for muscling fish out of the tulies at Skinner IMO. For now I would just select a rod you already have that is "short", soft tipped with a strong backbone. The compre will handle some stuff though, I even use it as an inshore rod for Calicos and halibut.

Thanks 22's. I thought about just using a swimbait rod, but at 8 feet it was just too long for what I'm planning. The only thing close on my boat would be a Mojo spinnerbait rod and still just not quite right. I nosed around Bass Pro today and ended up with your first mention.... a composite Ugly stick. 6'6" heavy with a stiff tip. Not a finesse rig to be sure, but for $40 it is the broomstick I need. Paired with a Lew's 7.5 :1 and 40 pound braid.

I think that will do nicely for close combat flipping. I use 12lb mono with the compre worm and jig rod(I called it flipping rod by mistake) for most of my flipping and pitching but I stick to the edges of the tulies. I stay away from braid at skinner due to the clear water.

I also have a flipping kelp from the jetty technique on lockdown that I actually use a 7'6" graphite heavy diawa SB rod Castaic flipping reel with 50-60lb braid, mostly to be able to pull fish away from me to keep them from diving under the rocks I stand on.

Did you make it out? curious what all this rain has done to the fishing and trying to decide if its worth the drive out there as I only get 2-3 trips a year having kid and now a pregnant wife... haha.

I may use a 14# flouro leader. I might try Saturday between storms, but normally don't ever go on weekends. Spending my down time tying some new fly patterns. (top secret )

We all have our preferences. I like the Heavy Tatula since it is very light in weight.