Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod setup help please...?

Default Rod setup help please...?

I am new to fishing and i have been looking for information on the right set up for stock trout fishing from the bank. I heard that rooster tails and inline spinners are best but i do not know how to set them up. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Let's see what Bob has to say:

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ................lol.................truck trout..........................

Keep it simple.. 2 to 4 lb test monofilment (I prefer mono for ultralight fishing) loaded onto your spinning reel, and use the smallest size ball bearing snap swivel, size 12 or 14 (I prefer black, but silver or chrome is ok) attached to your spinner. Use an improved Clinch Knot to tie your line to the snap swivel. Cast out, jerk the rod to get the blade on the spinner to start spinning, and start winding it back in. With a snap swivel. you can change lures quickly and it helps to keep the line from twisting. Hey Roostertails are good, but Mepps are better.

Quote Originally Posted by christoff0433 View Post
    I am new to fishing and i have been looking for information on the right set up for stock trout fishing from the bank. I heard that rooster tails and inline spinners are best but i do not know how to set them up. Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Get a 7 foot spinning rod with a reliable spinning reel that can throw 2, 4 and 6 pound test. (A lot of good reels these days have a second spool to assist with that).

Or, PM TroutOnly. He's the trout master around these parts and will show you the right way to hook a night crawler. The best in the biz.

And if you do elect to use a swivel, shell out a few more cents and get a ball bearing swivel. Try not to have too many connections with such a light line, as you increase your chance of breakage with every knot you tie.

Also try 'panfish' jigs in 1.5 to 1". They won't cause line twist, and you can keep them in the strike zone longer than heavier weighted spoons and inline spinners.

X2 on the rod tip from DarkShaddow

best baits for stock trout in a lake are going to be mini jigs, or drop shot micro stick baits, I love the 2" pearl "Jerk-it".
    I have caught them on spinners but not as much. I love spinners for river/streams though.
    I use 6lb triple X spiderwire mono but if the water is really clear you might need drop to 4lb, 2lb is just stupid IMO.
    In deeper reservoirs castmasters can be deadly,
    ...and of course floating bait or inflated night crawlers always a safe bet, remember to try different leader lengths if you aren't getting bit. (that goes for the Dropshot rig too)

You can spend a fortune on a rod and reel but there is no need to, especially when you are new to the game. DS's suggestion of a 7' rod is spot-on; a great choice is the Daiwa Spinmatic. Plenty of backbone, as if you will need that with stocker trout, and plenty of whip if you want to toss plastics or hardware. For reels, think Shimano. Start with a Sedona or Sahara and move into the Stradic or beyond as you move deeper into it. Spend your money on trips to start, talk to successful folks and see what they are doing tackle-wise. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn't, and what suits your fancy and what doesn't. And when you get good at your craft, pay it back by paying it forward and answer questions when folks, especially kids, ask.

diawa spinmatic is the best rod for the money i think. pair it with a shimano sienna reel and you have a good set up for 75 bucks.

Spinmatic & Shimano Sedona--$100. 2lb Izorline Xxx smoke from Turners..

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Spinmatic & Shimano Sedona--$100. 2lb Izorline Xxx smoke from Turners..

MM
    I agree with the xxx izorline 2# test but if your a beginner I recommend 4#. The spinmatic is a good rod for the money but if you really want to go cheap I really recommend the Shakespeare micro lite 7 and a half foot rod from wal mart. It's 17 bucks. The spinmatic would do a better job with jigs but you can't beat the price on the Shakespeare. For the reel the shimano Sedona or pfleuger president are great reels for about 60. The sienna is ok too at 30 bucks.

If you plan on mini jigging you definitely want 2# or maybe even the maxima 3# to get casting distance but you need to set the drag light and just tire the fish out instead of muscling them in. If you have any questions you can always PM me.

Thank you for all the good advice and instructions. I have been out 6 times now and haven't caught anything. I have tried night crawlers, drop shots, spinners, lures, power baits and panther martin but i have had no bites. I even went twice the day after they stocked 600lbs each time. I signed up for the lakes fishing derby where they will be stocking 2000Lbs on 2/25. Not sure what i am doing wrong. I have heard about the Carolina rig and might try that. I haven't tried leaders either. I have been using main line to snap swivel and a line from the swivel that is about 18" with a size 8 hook. I need to figure out the right setup and catch something before the derby comes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast