Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod setup help please...?

Quote Originally Posted by christoff0433 View Post
    Thank you for all the good advice and instructions. I have been out 6 times now and haven't caught anything. I have tried night crawlers, drop shots, spinners, lures, power baits and panther martin but i have had no bites. I even went twice the day after they stocked 600lbs each time. I signed up for the lakes fishing derby where they will be stocking 2000Lbs on 2/25. Not sure what i am doing wrong. I have heard about the Carolina rig and might try that. I haven't tried leaders either. I have been using main line to snap swivel and a line from the swivel that is about 18" with a size 8 hook. I need to figure out the right setup and catch something before the derby comes.
    Well, for what it's worth, different conditions call for different approaches and you are on the right track by spending time on the water.

I don't know the areas you are fishing, but I will guess that with the recent storms, the water may be a bit murky. If it's murky, you're approach should differ than if the water is crystal clear.

For recently stocked fish, I would personally go with a mini jig if the water is clear, and learn the body of water. If the body of water doesn't have too much as far as cover and current goes, this is when I'd work areas quickly and try not to stay in one spot. Stockers tend to school together, so if you're in a section where they are not going to be, you have to be constantly covering area.

If you're going to be fishing Powerbait, I think you should be able to get away fishing 4 pound test, as long as the water isn't too clear. A simple power bait rig would be a small egg sinker, stopped by either a split shot or a barrel swivel, and anywhere from 12 inches to 24 inches of a leader connected to a size 18 treble hook. I say anywhere from 12 to 24 inches, as this is the 'trial and error' part of fishing. From my experience, I know that in murky water, the fish tend to be closer to the bottom, thus a shorter leader may be necessary.

If you're fishing spoons and other hardware, I'd move constantly until you find the roaming schools. I also go tiny when it comes to these, fishing 1/32 spinners and spoons. Again, water clarity usually dictates what colors I'd use.

Keep at it. Once you start figuring out the tendencies of the quarry you are intending to catch, you'll find yourself learning new things even though you may be getting skunked. It also helps to ask individuals who are catching fish a few questions to kinda get you going in the right direction.

Thanks. I am in Palm Desert, CA and there is a man made lake hear called Lake Cahuilla. The waters are murky. I can only see about 2ft-3ft out. I bought another pole so i setup 2 different rigs ans switch them both out if nothing is biting. I tried moving around last time but didnt get very far. Most people i have spoken to around the lake use night crawlers.
    I have my main line tied to the snap swivel using a palomar knot. 2 split shots above the swivel for casting purposes. I took some of the fishing line from my spool and i use that from the swivel to the hook tied with another palomar knot. Should i change this?

Thanks. I am in Palm Desert, CA and there is a man made lake hear called Lake Cahuilla. The waters are murky. I can only see about 2ft-3ft out. I bought another pole so i setup 2 different rigs ans switch them both out if nothing is biting. I tried moving around last time but didnt get very far. Most people i have spoken to around the lake use night crawlers.
    I have my main line tied to the snap swivel using a palomar knot. 2 split shots above the swivel for casting purposes. I took some of the fishing line from my spool and i use that from the swivel to the hook tied with another palomar knot. Should i change this?
    If you have 2 rods, I would set one out with bait and be casting with artificials on the 2nd rod. The problem I have found with nightcrawlers though is that they will sink if they are not properly inflated. Unless you're trying to catch catfish, who eat food off the bottom, you better get a good hypodermic needle (I will refrain from making a joke) and have the nightcrawler inflated and off the bottom. If not, in my experience, you're not going to get bit with that. (Which is why floating baits like Powerbait and rigs like a PowerMouse can get you success)

I always prefer having a 'sliding sinker' rig when I am bait fishing, simply because I'm neurotic and think that the fish can feel the weight if they pick up a bait and try to run with it then immediately drop it. With your two split shot rig, the fish will eat the bait and immediately feel the weight because the weight is stationary. And even stockers can be as smart as holdovers (;-)) and will drop the bait the moment they feel any weight. That is why I recommend using a sliding sinker rig with your PowerBait.

This is a good one: https://fishingthoughts.files.wordpr...04/slide12.jpg

Again, I recommend adding the drop shot rig to your repertoire, considering how much damage you can do using a PowerMouse or dragging a Floating Trout Worm through the area on the drop shot rig.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

For recently stocked fish, I would personally go with a mini jig if the water is clear, and learn the body of water.

I'm surprised that d umb s hasn't recommended this very successful lure/fly...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st4-garrydog.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	49557

When I first started fishing and posting reports, he helped me greatly with his sound advice.

It's a basic fly pattern type, google the "mickey finn" style, a tried and true pattern ...

it'll kill a lot of trout when fished correctly so be sure to let the fish swallow it deep, down to it's gullet if possible.

you'll want your trout (or any other game fish) to run with it, be sure to use the sliding sinker set up he explained...

specifically so the fish won't feel the weight used to cast it out and spit the fly out.

Keep at it. Once you start figuring out the tendencies of the quarry you are intending to catch, you'll find yourself learning new things even though you may be getting skunked.

Sound advice here, it's just a slight learning curve and a little luck will surely help!

It also helps to ask individuals who are catching fish a few questions to kinda get you going in the right direction.

Yes, but try to take all suggestions with a grain of salt, otherwise you'll become cynical to some of your inquiries/reports due to the attitude of some fishermen, fisher women, and/or other forum posters in general.

unless, unless... a few are learning from being called out for being trolls...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...rk/n8661?snl=1

NAHHHHHHH

I am new to fishing and i have been looking for information on the right set up for stock trout fishing from the bank. I heard that rooster tails and inline spinners are best but i do not know how to set them up. Any advise would be much appreciated.
    This is a good article that might help. I've really good luck with Berkley Mice Tails.

https://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureArti...ut_012916.aspx

I setup my poles with the recommendations above and caught a nice size trout in less than 30mins. Thank you for all the advice. Fishing derby is this weekend. I'll post pictures of the catch.

Congratulations! Confidence builder

MM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12